Coastal Artillery Bergmutze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coastal Artillery Bergmutze

Here is a fun one. It has stamps for the former LW museum in Uetersen. I have been trying to figure out in the eagle and kokarde are period or if this was restored as a KM hat from a Heer Bergmutze.
    Attached Files

Details
    Attached Files

Comment

markedly since 1942 can only be a Bergmutze with other internal construction regards sergio

Comment

It is a bergmutze, I am just wondering if KM were issued these as well. Coastal Artillery used a lot of different and often odd uniform items.

Comment

Must be a General's one! Seriously, this just looks like a nice original cap that for whatever reason ended up with a coastal artillery eagle. Looks original, well-marked, and text-book other than the eagle.

You could take your pick of theories on how it ended up with a hand-sewn yellow eagle, but I would welcome such a cap in my own collection.

s/f Robert

Comment

Original eagle. Are there signs of earlier T eagle & cockade, looks like there might have been?

Regards,

Jerry
            Attached Files

Comment

Original bergmutze, the CA insignas are odd...but very well applied and IMO since a long time, I would add there is no interest for a collector or a dealer to reapplied inappropriate insignas..
              So, probably war time assembled, period pics show enough similar curiosity to don't be surprised by this cap....

Comment

There is moth tracking over the eagle that makes it look like a "T" shape but it is really hard to tell. I am going on a trip tomorrow and already packed my camera but here is a scanned image. I would love to restore it as GJ but of course would never remove the eagle unless I was 100% sure it was post War. Museums (I worked in two) like to create things, this was very common to see in the 50s and 60s more then today.
                Attached Files

Comment

Disregarding the KM insignia which I don't think belong there, it looks like an acceptable original Heer cap with the cloth underside to the peak and what seems to be a visor cap leather sweatband.

Holes for an edelweiss on the side?

Comment

I would leave it as is...Could have very well been worn by CA or Heer General officer,I like how the insignia is sewn.

Glenn
                    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
                      I would leave it as is..
                      Me too, can't be sure they're not originally applied, just don't think they are personally.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                        can't be sure they're not originally applied, just don't think they are personally.

Hands on is always best with hats of course but the 2 piece insignia configuration was certainly used...Here is an untouched Bergmutze with the cockarde sewn similar.

Glenn
                        Attached Files
                        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Glad to see you've still got that cap Glenn, it's one of my all time favourites.

Comment

The sewing could go either way from photos, but I think a Heer general officer would have added gold bullion or celleon piping to the crown. Nice original quality cap to start with, and maybe the hands on can help make a determination.

Richard

Comment

I will be back in a couple days and dig it out again. It does not have any noticeable indications of an Edelweiss. Thank you

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X