Willy Sprengpfeil black Panzer sidecap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
    ..Here is the interior of a 1940 date green one (green or black would make no difference)

Maybe I am just being over skeptical.

Glenn
    Ain’t nothing wrong with that.

Yes, markings Not correct.

B. N. Singer

Comment

If that cap is fake, then this hobby is getting more dangerous by the minute...

Comment

Originally posted by sonderverband View Post
        If that cap is fake, then this hobby is getting more dangerous by the minute...
        I completely agree. Would definitely have fooled me.
        HC

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ly+sprengpfeil

a few interesting caps with different grommets

an obvious fake markings,and 7 prong grommets
          Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
          teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
            Hello Chris,

On several of these by this maker (and 1940 date) that I know of the insignia was always hand sewn,the stamp not so crude,different type grommets and the cut a bit different (unless it is these photos)

Here is the interior of a 1940 date green one (green or black would make no difference)

Maybe I am just being over skeptical.

Glenn
            Hello Glenn,

I understand fully what you are saying and the stamp you show here in post number 15 is the most desirable one for sure because it is the one that turns up in the field grey versions which seem to be more comman than the Panzer black type.

When one does encounter the Panzer black version by this maker, however it always has the version of the stamp which ebony showed in post number 5. The only exception I have seen to this is the HG Panzer black example which Jack Melvin sold in July and Jack stated he obtained his cap directly from a Canadian veteran. The stamp on that one was unlike any I have seen before.

Agree also that on the 1940 field grey examples one usually sees a hand applied eagle but the cockades seem to vary. I have however seen the Panzer examples with both a hand applied or a machine applied eagle so these appear to vary. In fact I will get ebony to post an image of one I have on file with a hand applied eagle when I can get a hold of him to do so.

As far as the grommets go they appear to be one of the acceptable variations of the time and made of zinc. I am not aware of the fakers using such a grommet but I have seen that type spread like that on other period sidecaps.

The other thing I am trying to find out more about is the fact that in 1939 Willy Sprengpfeil was in financial difficulty, entered into a cooperative partnership with Gloy and and began licencing some of their production to reduce their fixed operations so this might be the reason esp. given that the black Panzer cap made its entry in 1940,

Chris

p.s. also thanks to Lenny for posting those links, very interesting

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the discussion.

Here is an image of a Willy Sprengpfeil black Panzer cap with the eagle hand applied and the type 40 cockade which is seen more on 1941-42 dated caps but sometimes on a late 1940 dated example.
              Attached Files

Comment

90th Light (Chris) also asked me to post an image of the makers mark in the HG Panzer cap in Jack Melvin vet example,
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ebony View Post
                  Thanks guys I appreciate the discussion.

Here is an image of a Willy Sprengpfeil black Panzer cap with the eagle hand applied and the type 40 cockade which is seen more on 1941-42 dated caps but sometimes on a late 1940 dated example.
                  Ebony,

We posted at the same time and your post answered my request. I should have been more patient. The cap looks great from the front and then there are those markings of a type I have never seen. They are certainly well executed and look very plausible. Many thanks to you and Chris for sharing this unusual example. Wish I had seen it when Jack sold it.

Richard

Comment

Well,I know that I have said all that I can really say...It is just not in my comfort zone for this maker and date so I would personally play it safe and pass,but that is just me.

We all have different levels of comfort as to what we accept as original,or not.

Glenn
                    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Do any of you truly experienced guys realize how helpful it would be if you would band together and write a USEFUL book about Panzer material? Heck, I'd buy it and I don't even collect the stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                        Do any of you truly experienced guys realize how helpful it would be if you would band together and write a USEFUL book about Panzer material? Heck, I'd buy it and I don't even collect the stuff!
                        I have heard rumors that just such a book on wraparounds is in the works.
                        B. N. Singer

Comment

That would be a wonderful thing (and I hope you are involved!).

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                            That would be a wonderful thing (and I hope you are involved!).
                            Thank you Sir, very kind, my arm is being twisted. Although if I am, I can see a possible hindrance of sales with some!
                            B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
                              ...if I am, I can see a possible hindrance of sales with some!
                              B. N. Singer
                              Not me!

Comment

I believe that Scott Pritchett is working on something with regard to a book about Panzer uniforms. In fact it might even be more than one and if his 3 on the GD are anything to go by then I very much look forward to such a book or books (so I am told on the grape vine).

Would be interesting to see more examples of Willy Sprengpfeil sidecaps added to this thread or even some more comments about them so any one reading this please do not hold back,

Chris
                                Last edited by 90th Light; 11-17-2010, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X