No announcement yet.

SS M43 Panzer Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s the black SS internal HB that’s the king of all linings though Ben.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
      What I'm just starting to realise is just how many variations of HBT exist.
      When you look back and read some of the old threads that show HBT lined M43 caps, it seems to me that this fact gets overlooked or at least ignored.

Chris has already shown some examples of the differences in weaves. Here are some more.

At first glance, these are all lined in the same grey HBT but actually, they are completely different.

Yes that is what I have also concluded Ben,

there are a range of HBT's that need to be understood if one is to collect these caps and uniforms. I put the following information up on the other thread but it is probably useful to also add it to this thread.

The HBT on the cap which Ben has purchased looks to be different to the HBT on the M43 caps that I have shown in post number 383. This is because the HBT used on Ben's new cap is probably been made from a different blend of materials. May be it has re-cycled cotton in it ? Also it looks to be not as course as the HBT in the other thread described as a "Dachau type" HBT which seems to have a course Flax/ Hemp fiber in the blend. Then again I do not have it in hand. The difference I am seeing might be the result of use, wear and washing. (It would be interesting to do count of the number of threads it is made from ?)

The Germans used a range HBT on both uniforms and caps especially in the period of late 1943 to 1945.

Comes down to what it is made of and the ersatz blended nature of the yarn from which it has been weaved as the war progressed.

It is important for all to have a clear outline and study to identify the types of HBT being used by the Germans and other Axis members of the Third Reich (see image below for some comparisons) ;

1/ HBT fiber that it is made from "Cotton" is much tighter and "thinner" in feel and neater in appearance.

2/ HBT fibre made from "Rayon" ("Artificial-silk") is a whole different matter but is often found in the tighter/ thinner pattern with varying degrees of sheen.

3/ HBT fibre made from "Flax" ("Linen") ("Hemp") is (thicker ?), raw, rough, semi-unfinished, ersatz & blended.

4/ HBT fibre made from blends involving 1&2, 1&3, 2&3, all three, other ersatz materials and recycled cloth utilised.

5/ Odd-ball HBT's not fitting 1/ to 4/ above may be from other parts of the Reich, Axis allies or conquered territories

The result, HBT "determined by the fiber that it is made from". Each type is different in "thickness, feel and look" from other types as the images on this thread already begin to illustrate.

Also as general observation, HBT can vary if it is not-washed" verses lightly-washed verses heavily-washed verses various degrees of worn,

Chris
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 90th Light; 12-23-2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
        It’s the black SS internal HB that’s the king of all linings though Ben.
        Don't recall seeing any black HBT linings, are they any on the forum you can show me?

Oh and Owen, it would be very helpful to know whether you think this dot camo tunic is the real deal?

https://fjm44.com/articles/tunic-waf...-44-betr-ra-2/

Comment

Dark Grey near Black HBT lining seen in one of the few original M-43 SS panzer hats - credit to Virtual Grenadier.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MM1985 View Post
            Dark Grey near Black HBT lining seen in one of the few original M-43 SS panzer hats - credit to Virtual Grenadier.

That one was a killer ss panzer m43...

Comment

Can I have the link please? I'd like to see a close up of the HBT.

Comment

https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=5165

Comment

Thanks mate, no close ups unfortunately though.

Comment

It’s black actually

Ben
                    There’s no pic can you pm me

Owen

Comment

Ben
                      It’s a nice panzer cap
                      I posted a thread about it somewhere
                      Check my old posts
                      Here’s a fun one with it.

Comment

Loverly panzer 43 officer..owned a Dachau Off back when..A dealer friend was shown a panzer Flat wire officers 43..son of an officer that spent time at Dachau..I would have loved to own it..son didnt sell it at that time..Billbert

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
                          I posted a thread about it somewhere
                          Check my old posts
                          Found it, thanks.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=949804

Comment

That’s it Ben.

Comment

Owen, how does the HBT in this cap compare with the HBT found in camouflage jackets and pullovers, specifically the ones that came from Dachau?

Comment

It’s the same as the black flack suit if yiu even handled one:
                                Pretty thin and coated giving it a cold waxy to the hand.
                                The pockets are a slight heavier but only by a inth of a degree if you know what I mean.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X