No announcement yet.

POLICE GENERALS OVERSEAS-opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interesting thread & for the record I think this is a nicely made original very rare cap.
    I like the construction but can see the point made on the stitches around the cockade, probably been field repaired when it came loose, as there is usage wear to the cap.

Also I never seen a gold bullion police Adler yet & see no reason why they wouldn't follow the same styles & variants as the army did.

I would like this cap in my collection & would love it if some of the old time collectors could post a similar one. Thanks for showing.

Comment

This is an interesting cap that looks to be WWII vintage to me. A few things would give me pause:

- as stated, I'd expect a front sweat piece on the front of a heavier winter-weight gabardine cap made for a General. All my WWII standard police officer sidecaps have them, and it's somewhat an expected feature

- the German police used heavy hand-embroidered gold bullion for water police and general-grade sleeve insignia; it was the norm. I would expect a gold hand-worked police eagle would not have beyond the expertise of the fine custom insignia manufacturers of the time, and would expect to see such an insignia on a General's cap. Even a metal gold cap eagle - but the standard white bevo looks off to me.

- the shade of wool is tough to judge from photos, but this almost looks German Army green - which is the same as KM. Use of gold piping on a KM sidecap would have produced a good wartime base cap from which it would have been easy to build this exotic piece.

I am hopefully just adding to the discussion, and not condemning the cap. It looks like a nice piece to me, and very likely wartime, but not necessarily for a General or even police.

s/f Robert
      Attached Files

Comment

A STUNNING CAP RobertE !! Billbert

Comment

Thanks, not to divert from the discussion, the sweatband is standard in most police officer caps I've seen and in all I own.

I'd say it would not have been tough for the German cottage-industry embroidery workers to pump out a small version of this, which is what I'd expect to see on a General's cap.

s/f Robert
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Robert for showing yours & very fair / true explanations of what should be the norm & again similar to army construction normalities, also I have now seen a gold police Adler. Thanks

Comment

As of today no original police generals side cap has been found with a gold flat wire insignia, and as far as I know, No generals flat wire cap eagle has ever been found

Comment

Thanks for posting these excellent examples. I have never seen a good flatwire sleeve eagle either; I don't think they existed although it may just be a matter of none surfacing.

s/f Robert

Comment

Robert E really like that werkfeuerwehr, rare as hens teeth with the title, I also have one, but not as nice as that one

Comment

This is my police general sidecap. Has been posted before long ago...

Erik
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Erik, I think this last posting showing your nice cap demonstrates that a silver flatwire was acceptable and worn on WWII German Police Generals cap. Thanks for posting these fine examples!

s/f Robert

Comment

Thank you Robert, you are welcome, and I agree with your assessment.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
                          This is an interesting cap that looks to be WWII vintage to me. A few things would give me pause:

- as stated, I'd expect a front sweat piece on the front of a heavier winter-weight gabardine cap made for a General. All my WWII standard police officer sidecaps have them, and it's somewhat an expected feature

- the German police used heavy hand-embroidered gold bullion for water police and general-grade sleeve insignia; it was the norm. I would expect a gold hand-worked police eagle would not have beyond the expertise of the fine custom insignia manufacturers of the time, and would expect to see such an insignia on a General's cap. Even a metal gold cap eagle - but the standard white bevo looks off to me.

- the shade of wool is tough to judge from photos, but this almost looks German Army green - which is the same as KM. Use of gold piping on apiece to me, and very likely wartime, but not necessarily for a General or even police.

s/f Robert
                          Who wore the hat with the Soutache?

Comment

There is a Po General's schiffchen with the silver eagle on Ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332212053095...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Well, someone thought the above hat was real--it went for US $1,228.00 : +$12.00 shipping
                              Attached Files
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

i dont know if the cap was real or not ,but this seller has sold a fake ss helmet today for 1875 $
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-STEEL-HE...3D122482546026

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X