No announcement yet.

WSS M43 Panzer cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it's worth, and I've learn't this lesson the hard way a lot of times over and over again. The cap could be original, the margin of error in judgement based on photos is huge with any black fieldcap. The insignia is real but not original to the cap IMO. The fact that it's not machine sewn actualy works in the caps's favour because if it were a reproduction from the ground up, the trap would be one of the first things sewn on. Fakers aren't stupid, they know that hand sewn insignia is suspicious and devalues a cap. Would I buy it? No. Reason being that it's nearly impossible to find any period photo of a WSS M43 in black or fieldgrey with a trapezoid. Of course they existed but the evidence from period photos suggests the fact that they didn't exist in the quantity that we see on the market today. If you study the photos, the norm was the seperate skull and eagle but how many caps do we see like that now? let alone trap panzer caps.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
      The fact that it's not machine sewn actualy works in the caps's favour because if it were a reproduction from the ground up, the trap would be one of the first things sewn on. Fakers aren't stupid, they know that hand sewn insignia is suspicious and devalues a cap.

Actually this is just an old trick to make you think the hat was "denazified" at one point.

When it was manufactured from the ground up then the insignia type used could have been reproduction,removed and an original trapazoid sewn by hand.

Perhaps it never had any insignia applied at all at the time of it's manufacture.

Glenn
      "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Good point Glenn but I'm not attempting to educate in regards to all the dodgy angles if you now what I mean?

Comment

just regarding the cap
          Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
          teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter v L View Post
            Cap removed!

Cheers
            PvL
            Gee, could there be a movement afoot!
            Well, count me O U T! I am off to a “tea party” meeting.
            B. N. Singer

Comment

Thanks Lenny... clean and clear...

Andre

Comment

Originally posted by Peter v L View Post
                Cap removed!

Cheers
                PvL

how funny, this turned out to be bad as well...a real coincidence mate isnt it...if this was the first time it happened id agree, but after so many, then you start thinking of who is in for what in this hobby, for the cash or the history...

Comment

Originally posted by ApathyL View Post
                  how funny, this turned out to be bad as well.....
                  How do you know that for sure? I've got no dog in this fight just for clarity.

Comment

Gentlemen,

I’m actually surprised that a lot of you that actually were able to give some feedback on the cap, and whom I consider to be experts in this field, showed so little reserve in their disapproval of this cap? I’m still convinced, that in many cases the only real solid way of giving an exclusive and honest verdict with most of our collectibles, is the “feel and touch”. As BenVK very righteously points out, these particular black caps are very hard to judge from their pictures. Needless to say, judgement on construction alone, is not always the key and even dangerous when not all the red flags or green flags are shown in the photos.

Just my 2 cents.
                    F

PS since I'm the owner of this cap, I indeed still feel comfortable with this cap based on aspects you simply can't know based on solely looking at the photos. And of course I have my interest but will always be subject to constructive and objective input.
                    Last edited by Zauberflöte; 03-24-2010, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Zauber...

When the cap first came on the update i mailed Peter and asked him if he was really sure about this cap, my thoughts were that it was an Heer cap that was dyied black with SS insignia on, he sad come and look, when i got it it my hands i saw that i was wrong about it and that the pictures really dont do it justice.

Daniel

Comment

Hello:
                        There are features of cap I dont like but good point that many caps vs. fakes are so good that hands on is needed for final call. Thank you for posting fotos.
                        Francisco

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X