Sun helmet discussion for DAK Historians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

So that this information is widely shared I've written up an article for my MilitarySunHelmets.com website that documents these theories and tries to put this in a timeline.

I don't own photos of a German-used one so if anyone has photos I can use let me know and I can add to the article.

Basically I tried to include the timeline on these, including my research that shows when the British and then the Canadians picked up the production. I've included photos that compare the models.

Here is the link to my article:
      http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/20...met-connection

Comment

Great thread. I really like that pith Bob

Here are 2 of my South African pith helmets. First up a 1943 dated one in what looks like unissued condition.
        Attached Files

Comment

I like them used so this is one of my favourites. Due to it being so worn I cannot make out the date of manufacture and only the acceptance stamp is still visible.

Barry
          Attached Files

Comment

This topic has been dead for a while, but I came across a Getty image:
            http://www.gettyimages.at/ereignis/d...re-id154418928
            Caption: "Italian Infantry soldiers defusing anti-tank mines that the British Army have placed in the so-called 'no man's land' in the area of El Alamein. El Alamein, August 1942."

The soldier on the left is wearing a Canadian-made South African sun helmet. These are pressed fiber made by Hawley Canada for South Africa. I've never seen a photo of these in use in Africa but you can tell this is the helmet based on the placement of the rivets.

I also think the caption is WRONG. I think these are South African soldiers. Look at the rank on the same fellow. The boots, the shorts, etc. None of that looks Italian. The only thing Italian is the helmet on the other guy. I think that guy is wearing a captured Italian helmet!

Comment

Hi Peter

Maybe dead but not forgotten. Always great to hear from you. From what you descibe, bet your right, but the link doesn't work for me ? Can you post the photo ?

thanks
              Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X