• Time
  • Show
Clear All

rare DAF Werkscharer Schirmmütze...opinions please

Hi Guys,

What do you of this one?

Thnx in advance

Maybe....then again, maybe not.

Here is the problem that I see with a lot of "Werkschar" visors.
    A lot of them appear to be regular DAF "Fest" visors "upgraded" to Werkscharen by removing the Fest oval and replacing it with the eagle and wreath (and then a $200 hat magically becomes a $1500 hat).

On what I consider a true Werkschar visor, there is no "ribbing" to the band, and the Oakleaves are larger (and hence, fewer). Further, the true Werkschar visors are made like a standard Extramutzen--they are padded with strong stiffeners and springs--not flimsy like the Fest visors. They also usually have your standard WH Vulkanfiber visor w/o the pique strip.

I am not saying that there could not have been Fest caps that were "upgraded" by the owner--its just that if you want "textbook", this wouldn't be it.

The other problem I have with this hat is the use of an M-29 eagle--the Werkchar visors came out in 1938, and should have the M-37 eagle.

I had a less than stonemint Werkschar which I let go--I will see if I can find pix to explain what I am talking about.
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

thnx very much for your opinion!
      I had my thoughts also. That's why I started this thread.

I would love to see the pics of your (ex)visor

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post

A lot of them appear to be regular DAF "Fest" visors "upgraded" to Werkscharen by removing the Fest oval and replacing it with the eagle and wreath (and then a $200 hat magically becomes a $1500 hat).

On what I consider a true Werkschar visor, there is no "ribbing" to the band, and the Oakleaves are larger (and hence, fewer). Further, the true Werkschar visors are made like a standard Extramutzen--they are padded with strong stiffeners and springs--not flimsy like the Fest visors. They also usually have your standard WH Vulkanfiber visor w/o the pique strip.

I am not saying that there could not have been Fest caps that were "upgraded" by the owner--its just that if you want "textbook", this wouldn't be it.

The other problem I have with this hat is the use of an M-29 eagle--the Werkchar visors came out in 1938, and should have the M-37 eagle.

I had a less than stonemint Werkschar which I let go--I will see if I can find pix to explain what I am talking about.

The Bird is RZM marked and the mütze was bought on a flee market in 1970 in Germany. The seller also got an NSDAP visor in the same condition (not peaked)

Comment

Hi,
          here-with a regular with vulkanfiber visor and stiff "Sattelform" Werkschar-Mütze.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Pascal Bernhard; 03-27-2008, 03:32 PM.
          Straßburger / When in doubt do without...
          - Looking for : SS TK «Oberbayern» flatwire CT.

Comment

and an other level...
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post

I agree totaly with this opinion !

Comment

Pascal--textbook Werkscharen, and the textbook definition of "stonemint"!
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here is mine with bullion cockade.
                  Attached Files

Comment

DAF tag
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wessel: Yours is more consistent with the period than the original hat that started this thread, in that yours has a later eagle (actually a State eagle, but correctly in gold), and I like your bullion wreath. As I said supra, we cannot discount these as being original--they could be transitional pieces, or a case of where the Werkschar leader did not want to spend the RM for a new hat.

I have also done an informal survey--every visor I have seen for Werkschar that has the Vulkanfiber visor and is made by Pekuro. Further, there are no specific regs that I can find describing the band, weaving, and style of oakleaves.

Here is a nice Pekuro on Gerard's site right now:
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

This looks almost exactly like the one I sold back around 1985 or so--even down to the placement of the mothing (wouldn't be the first time I saw one of my old hats end up on another site!). It is another Pekuro:
                        Attached Files
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Side view of above:
                          Attached Files
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here is a fest visor for comparison (Pascal, I am too lazy to take a pic of mine, so I borrowed yours ):
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Ok. Very nice hats!!
                              But the visor of Wessel proves that it not always has to be an Vulkanfiber visor. I have have my thought of the Cockade. It looks a little too big. Is there an RZM stamp on the back of a DAF cockade?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X