No announcement yet.

Crash Cavalry in Detlew Nienan site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the blue thing poking out from underneath the s-band?

Comment

Even though this isn't an issue crusher (doeskin material, leather visor) it certainly seems real and somebody got a great bargain. You won't see an issue cavalry crusher for less than $3,000 anywhere.
      Last edited by sonderverband; 11-21-2009, 08:40 AM.

Comment

A blue rzm tag or tickets to the horse show no doubt.. Billbert

Comment

Originally posted by sonderverband View Post
          You won't see an issue cavalry crusher for less than $3,000 anywhere.
          Well... I guess that depends a little bit on the condition. I'd let mine go for 20% of that --- you're right --- they are impossible to find.

@Chris, thanks for bringing this thread up
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
            What's the blue thing poking out from underneath the s-band?
            Hello Ben,

true to form, your observation is on the nail. Turned out the "the blue thing poking out" was a piece of rolled up cardboard/ paper like they made EK2 packets out of. Had partial black printing on it about KAR98 7.92 ammunition if my memory serves me correctly. Quite believable. In the front behind the sweat band against the forehead which one can not see in these images was a rolled up couple of pages of a German magazine like "Signal" from the time with a war time date.

I had forgetton about that Ben until you mentioned it, suppose one can only assume that snug/ tighter fit was desired by the hats owner at some stage or may be it started to slip down a little too far at the front and on the ears. A higher more "jaunty" look was desired perhaps.

Best regards, Chris
            Last edited by 90th Light; 11-21-2009, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
              Well... I guess that depends a little bit on the condition. I'd let mine go for 20% of that --- you're right --- they are impossible to find.

@Chris, thanks for bringing this thread up
              No problem Kurt, I really enjoy seeing your caps and the very straight forward way you discuss them.

Many thanks for posting them, Chris

Comment

I am bring this one to the top again for all to read because of the is thread.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=1#post5942865

Interesting discussion,

Chris
                Last edited by 90th Light; 06-22-2013, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Have a look at the cap on page 115, "Riding into the Twilight" by Carsten Fries.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                    I am of course going from photos but the fabric looks the same as I have seen one other cap many many years ago. I know that the cap of long ago was 100% real. I have also seen a very similar material (maybe the same) on a WWI period cap and it appeared to be rain repellent...I think that maybe this one is as well.

You may be right on the insignia, at least the eagle concerning it is resewn. Not much reason to re-sew insignia on a fake cap (high end one at least) but original missing eagles when found from families are very very common.

I'm at a point where I don't kill myself over a re-applied eagle anymore...it is not worth it.....One is best to assume that they all are re-applied get the mental health therapy needed to understand that everything is not perfect, absolute or the way that we think it is and go on with life!

As to the chincords...well that is a real common wartime done additon found on both army and SS crushers. I have written a lot on this aspect in the past.

In my opinion it has zero impact on value but it could be argued either way that it makes the cap more valuable or less valuable, therfore I say it is neutral.
                    The cap stands a real chance , but how do you zig-zag stitch an original eagle on to an existing crusher? Does it go through the lining? I'm a sucker for flatwire but I like the one in the other thread more at one-look.

Comment

That eagle is original to the cap in my opinion. Unless there is some miraculous, free arm, zig-zag machine today and the person wanted to risk a torn up cap.....that eagle was applied during the construction when the front panels were laid flat. The possibility of that eagle being reapplied post war using a zig-zag machine is not feasible in my mind.

Robt.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X