Crash Cavalry in Detlew Nienan site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash Cavalry in Detlew Nienan site

Hello to all,in the last catalogoe of Nieman was spld for 750 euros this hat.
    What do you think?
    Carlo
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

the last ,stitchin of insigna
            Attached Files

Comment

Somebody got a very deal IMO. I have only seen that canvas type fabric on one other crusher and that was around 1977. A cav. old style field cap is a tough find and the condition is about as good as a real one can get.

Comment

Sorry but I don't agree with you,I don't like the fabric and the stitchin of the insigna.It is also upgrade with chincord.IMO
                Cheers
                Carlo

Comment

I like it a lot. Nice individualized variation, if this one could talk. Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by solo View Post
                    Sorry but I don't agree with you,I don't like the fabric and the stitchin of the insigna.It is also upgrade with chincord.IMO
                    Cheers
                    Carlo
                    I am of course going from photos but the fabric looks the same as I have seen one other cap many many years ago. I know that the cap of long ago was 100% real. I have also seen a very similar material (maybe the same) on a WWI period cap and it appeared to be rain repellent...I think that maybe this one is as well.

You may be right on the insignia, at least the eagle concerning it is resewn. Not much reason to re-sew insignia on a fake cap (high end one at least) but original missing eagles when found from families are very very common.

I'm at a point where I don't kill myself over a re-applied eagle anymore...it is not worth it.....One is best to assume that they all are re-applied get the mental health therapy needed to understand that everything is not perfect, absolute or the way that we think it is and go on with life!

As to the chincords...well that is a real common wartime done additon found on both army and SS crushers. I have written a lot on this aspect in the past.

In my opinion it has zero impact on value but it could be argued either way that it makes the cap more valuable or less valuable, therfore I say it is neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by solo View Post
                      Cheers
                      Carlo
                      Fabric although not common is period and may possibly have been matched with a uniform or riding jacket which the officer ordered at the same time. The material is of wind/water proof quality and a nice touch for a cavalry/recon officer ordering his field kit. One will encounter a range of materials when it comes to the top of an officers "old style cap" Depends when they were made and for who.

The eagle is a standard early silver wire on dark green backing which has been applied that way at the time of ,manufacture and is not a replacement. What is interesting here is that most officer "old style" caps have hand-applied / tailored-applied eagles so a zig-zag machine stitch is unusual and makes you wonder if it was a special request so as to not catch on things ???

The oak-leaf wreath is an early first model on field grey backing and appears hand-applied.

Interior appears correct for an officers "old style cap" with no makers mark which in my experience is what you find more often than not find on these caps. There appears to be some damage to the sweat band and it shows signs of wear.

Visor appears to be the later lacquered pressed cardboard type as opposed to a leather type. This is a correct version of visor for an "old style cap" and more likey for one which has had a chin-cord added.

The addition of a chin cord appears to one of personal preference but complies with regulations introduced at the time that the "old style caps" were being phased out in favour of the officers M38 side cap and regular visor cap. Many "old style caps" never had chin cords added and represented the mark of an old timer plus the conveniece of being able to fold them flat when packing. The ones with this type of visor do not fold so easy but still can if one creases the visor.

Hard to say more without a hands on inspection but I can see no red flags that would make me think it wrong and Detlev Niemann is no fool with regard to what he puts up on his site esp allowing for the fact that such things are scrutinized carefully by the members of this forum plus other collector circles.

Nice cap and possibly one of the harder piping colors to find in an "old style cap" Certainly harder than a Panzer pink one.

Interested to see if others agree with me or not,

Chris

Comment

This hurts, but I agree with you Chris. Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                          This hurts, but I agree with you Chris. Jacques
                          Thank you Jacques, I noticed your interest in "Crushers" so I appreciate your confirmation.

I am still trying to get over the Rugby and the "hurt" from that .

All the best, Chris

Comment

I was looking at the thread on the 3 Infantry Crusher caps which Kurt has recently obtained and noticed that one of them had a top made of the same sort of material as this Cavalry Crusher which Detlev sold in Feb 2008

Very interesting to say the least, Chris

Comment

Words right out of my mouth..I THINK I d be happy to own this... Billbert
                              PS later on crushers many times have officers chinstraps added.. maybe because wear out period over..OR maybe just officer preference of the versitility of the crush cap....JMHO

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X