No announcement yet.

The "Other" Schirrmuetzen mit Totenkopf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the pros (that's you folks) - There's been talk (by other pros on this forum) slamming the skulls seen on Third Reich 17th Reg caps that didn't have that separation between the nostrils - an open nose, if you will.

While my 17th Reg has two nose holes, I see a perfectly good example here (on the posted imperial cap) of being open (not separated). Now I've always been of the opinion that the aforemention "pros" saying the skulls with the single open nose hole versus the two hole variant were, shall we say, full of crap & more interested appearing knowledgable by slamming some poor collectors cap but me, I'm just a poor, uninformed lad who like visors. What say you pros on the two styles of totenkopf affixed to these caps - I see nothing wrong with either. Rick C.

Comment

Nice Reichswehr hat!! I just got that book--gotta say that is a impressive hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Liontas View Post
        Nice Reichswehr hat!!
        Here's another..................
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenixpwb View Post
          Question for the pros (that's you folks) - There's been talk (by other pros on this forum) slamming the skulls seen on Third Reich 17th Reg caps that didn't have that separation between the nostrils - an open nose, if you will.

While my 17th Reg has two nose holes, I see a perfectly good example here (on the posted imperial cap) of being open (not separated). Now I've always been of the opinion that the aforemention "pros" saying the skulls with the single open nose hole versus the two hole variant were, shall we say, full of crap & more interested appearing knowledgable by slamming some poor collectors cap but me, I'm just a poor, uninformed lad who like visors. What say you pros on the two styles of totenkopf affixed to these caps - I see nothing wrong with either. Rick C.
          Every week on eBay.de, repro Brunswick skulls appear with no separation in the nose. They are identical to the skull on the cap that started this thread. They have been on the go there for a couple of years. They are in very thin metal, with a tarnished silver apprearance. The prongs are thin and snap off easily.

Whether any original Brunswick skulls existed without the separation, I don't know. But this recent run of German fakes has given all skulls without the separation a 'bad name'.

Comment

this is my crash 5° cav. reg.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is my example with skull.
              Attached Files

Comment

And named...K.R. 13.
                Regards,
                Gary
                Attached Files

Comment

I can't explain the skull, but it has always been there.

Bob Hritz
                  Attached Files
                  In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Inf:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Solo,
                      Do you have a shot of the interior of your cavalry cap in post #20?
                      Derek

Comment

For future reference, the picture below shows one of the 100% FAKE totenkopf badges that have been circulating around eBay in Germany for the last couple of years. Note the nose.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Awesome

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                          And, for the sake of continuity, my favorite Erel visor of all time, from Infty Regiment 17, and Braunschweig distributor marked:

Dear Stonemint,

Awesome Braunschweig visors. The EREL is spectacular.

My favorite:

MIKE
                          Attached Files

Comment

I posted this thread on the Imperial forum, but I know many of us don't go over there that often, so I will post some of my thoughts here. I agree with Robin that the style of skull depicted on my first hat (the blue one) is extensively faked of late. However, these are different from mine in 2 very important respects.

The first is that the fakes are cast, not stamped. Here is one sold on Ebay just last week--notice the pitting behind the skull, and the lack of definition to the teeth:
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I hated doing this, but to prove my point, I removed the skull from the hat.

Mine is stamped cupal, with a nickel-silver finish on the front and rear--it is not zinc or aluminum.

Also, note that the prongs on mine are attached to the back of the bridge of the nose, and not the forehead/chin of the skull:
                              Attached Files
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here is another Ebay fake--same setup as the one Robin posted, and the other Ebay one posted above--it is also a cast alloy, probably with a lot of lead in it. In my opinion, the ebay specials are all cast from a mould of a stamped original:
                                Attached Files
                                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X