Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Holden View Post
    Jan,

Nice original cap, correct late war rough wool and some areas of wear I always look for. I have seen brown lining before and I am sure that the crumbling german war industry had more to worry about than the location of the size stamp in relation to the centre of the lining! Who knows with the insignia but as long as the price reflects a doubt in this one area I would certainly have it in my collection.

regards

Mark
    Mark

Thanks a lot for your input. This was somewhat my first opinion as well, but as my knowledge on these kind of items isn't really up to date apparently, mainly due to my focussing on medical kit the last years, I have decided not to buy it.

Price was not really a bargain either to be honest.

A last question from my side about those wool earpulls; is this to be considered as a red flag? Has this feature never been encountered on original examples before? Anyone who can give some more detailed information here?

Cheers

Jan
    'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

I have often wondered why they put "earpulls" in the hats at all and then why they made them generally so flimsy. I doubt the soldiers used them much. I,m not saying they wouldn't ever use wool but I have never seen such a thing and would thus consider it a red flag. I freely admit I haven't seen it all!

Originally posted by Jan Beazaer View Post
      Mark

A last question from my side about those wool earpulls; is this to be considered as a red flag? Has this feature never been encountered on original examples before? Anyone who can give some more detailed information here?

Cheers

Jan

Comment

My self I see the wool earpulls as a plus to the originality of the cap. I would not think that the hipothetical fakers would have problem to use some of the lining material to make the earpulls.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Holden View Post
          Jan,

I have seen brown lining before and I am sure that the crumbling german war industry had more to worry about than the location of the size stamp in relation to the centre of the lining!

Mark
          It wasn't the location in relation to centre I was noting... and according to my readings on Albert Speer, German war production was actually increasing through the height of the aerial bombardments. I have seen items produced in the spring of 1945 that were still of the highest craftmanship. Too often dealers will attempt to cover bogus items with the explanation "late war"..

Comment

Nice cap..Billbert

Comment

...a revelation?
              Last edited by TONY Q.W.; 11-23-2009, 06:47 AM.

Comment

I like the lining - I have one with the same lining in it. I also have an original cap with NO ear pulls.

Comment

Heres an original cap with wool pulls !! Billbert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X