Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your thoughts on this salty M43 EM fieldcap

Guys

Could you provide some of your thoughts on this M43 please? At first glance I see nothing wrong with the cap itself, but my knowledge is way to limited and fakers are getting very good. Although I think the insignia is original, I doubt that it is period applied.

Any input is highly appriciated!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Jan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jan Beazaer; 11-01-2007, 09:02 PM.
    'Arzt und Soldat'

Attached Files
    'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Attached Files
      'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Attached Files
        'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Attached Files
          'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Attached Files
            'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Attached Files
              'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

m43

Well, I like what I see from the photos you posted!! Looks to be a nice late war cap with late war trap. Plenty of character to boot. As always would like to see it in hand before making a final conclusion.

Marty
                I love the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyC View Post
                  Well, I like what I see from the photos you posted!! Looks to be a nice late war cap with late war trap. Plenty of character to boot. As always would like to see it in hand before making a final conclusion.

Marty
                  Thanks for your reply Marty.

Is the lining common if supposed to be late-war? Also, can you say by the pictures provided if the trap is period applied (although we'll never know for sure I suppose)?

Anyone else who would like to add his comments?

Cheers

Jan
                  Last edited by Jan Beazaer; 11-02-2007, 01:05 AM.
                  'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

I would pass on it...

Comment

The fieldcap looks great and salty, I think the insignia may have been reapplied...original insignia though.

Comment

Original cap and insignia in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by John Huff View Post
                          I would pass on it...
                          Hello

Could you please state why?

Certain members are stating that both the cap and insignia are original (with the risk of being post-war re-applied).

I would like to know why someone is stating something, both positive and negative comments.

Thanks

Cheers
                          Jan
                          'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Well, from just those pictures I could entertain a doubt.

Wool does not impress me as being typical "last ditch" material.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Beazaer View Post
                              Hello

Could you please state why?

Certain members are stating that both the cap and insignia are original (with the risk of being post-war re-applied).

I would like to know why someone is stating something, both positive and negative comments.

Thanks

Cheers
                              Jan
                              My apologies for my short, quick comment which was of little help to anybody. I also jumped right into the photos without reading your comments. (Too late at night, I guess...)
                              The insignia looks hand sewn which you have recognized I now see. To me that would make it a 99% certainty that it is post-war re-applied. If you are comfortable with this and the price paid is reflective of this, then that is not a problem. To me, 50% of the value of an M43 rides on originally applied insignia. So with prices on these now pushing $750 to $1000 in decent original condition...???
                              OK, once we are past that point, is the body of the cap itself original? That is very difficult to determine from the photos or perhaps any photos. As you stated, fakes are becoming very good on these. I agree with Bryon's comments but it may be just the photo detail. The unexposed areas of the wool look very pristine compared to the outside of the cap. This is normal to a certain degree but perhaps not to this degree. The size stamp is in an unusual location. This alone would not disqualify the piece but is simply another point to think about.
                              I am NOT saying I think the cap is a fake, I am saying that based on the pictures alone, I would not plunk down bunches of money without a liberal hands-on inspection period.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X