• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another angle:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

This pic shows how the stitching ends at the top of the band, and is not sewn to the front panels:
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Other side--there are no extra holes on either the band itself or the wreath:
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

As stated supra, the wreath is sewn to the mohair band, which is technically loose on the cap:
          Attached Files
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

This shows the band itself pulled gently away from the wool body of the cap--although it is hard to see in this pic, there are no stitch holes in the wool.
            Attached Files
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

The "pasteboard" is wasserdicht treated cloth, not cardboard. There are no staples joining the "pasteboard"--it is double stitched in place.

(One odd thing--the chincord buttons are sewn on, but do not pierce the "pasteboard"--they are sewn to the mohair and the wool body of the cap only--first time I have seen this on a German cap.)
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Under the hood--the machine-stitching goes around the entire circumference of the cap, except for about 1 inch in the dead front center, where it is loosely hand-stitched. There is a buckram stiffener underneath:
                Attached Files
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

No signs of any previous stitch-holes from any other insignia--this insignia, both eagle and wreath, were never stitched thru the lining:
                  Attached Files
                  NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Side showing machine-stitched-in lining:
                    Attached Files
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

"Brothers in Arms":
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

If anyone has any thoughts, opinions, questions, or comments let me know. I simply can't find anything wrong with this cap (despite my best efforts ).

It simply appears to be an unissued "Depot Queen", or the officer who bought it stored it away, and never came home to get it....
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

As I told before a perfect and very nice OKK cap.

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                          (One odd thing--the chincord buttons are sewn on, but do not pierce the "pasteboard"--they are sewn to the mohair and the wool body of the cap only--first time I have seen this on a German cap.)
                          I have seen this in other Kriegsmarine caps, perhaps as the chinstrap is very hard to button up and unbutton because the chinstrap usually is lacquered and could broken, the sewn of the buttons was made with it in its final position and sometimes did not pierce the cap.
                          Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                          Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Thanks Eduardo--all these years of collecting visors, and I still learn something new. My theory is that if the button stitching went throught the "pasteboard", it could create a weak spot if wet, due to the numerous holes needed to stitch it on--but its just a theory.

Anyway, it looks like she's a keeper!
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X