No announcement yet.

Opinion's on this KM Visor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Antiquefrog about the freshness as I had the same feeling. However, I can see the age in the wreath and eagle and taken as a whole the cap is speaking to me...mostly saying "buy me!" Also, there's no telling what the photos are hiding...I'm confident that to have this cap in hand would be proof positive of authenticity.

-Mark

Comment

I agree the bullion looks fresh but it would not be the first time I seen it on a 100% period visor. If you look at pic #2 you can see a bit of toning. If there is a flaw on this visor I can’t see it yet. You surly can’t hold its condition against it. Now if the visor shown wear and the bullion looked like that or vice versa I would be worried.

Comment

I understand your concerns about the caps "freshness" however; the bullion does have a light age toning. The digital camera simply didn't pick this up as I wanted to brighten the pics to bring out the details in the wreath and eagle.

When this cap is in hand, there is no mistaking its authenticity as a Pre 45 KM Cap. True, the gray sweatband is atypical for an OKK manufactured visor but I have seen other period examples with the same colored band.

People should always be cautious when dealing with WWII German Militaria especially KM items, but I am completely confident in this cap's authenticity and if the new owner isn't pleased with it...I'll be happy to take it back.

Regards

Mark

Originally posted by Antiquefrog View Post
        This looks quite nice at first glance, but almost too fresh. If the wreath and eagle are in fact bullion, one would expect some toning over 60 years under ANY storage conditions, with evident contrast to the celleon visor braid. Perhaps it has been cleaned. In any event, these insignia are too well matched for me given their disparate materials. It may well be period, but it has no sense of age; I would pass, personally. If in fact all insignia are celleon (a rare thing in this rank), it would make more sense.

Comment

Mark, as I suspected...the photos don't tell the whole story. By upping the luma the image doesn't reflect the reality of the cap. Signs of toning can, regardless, be seen, as Nick has pointed out. Digital white balance can be deceptive sometimes as well. That said, whoever buys this cap will be a lucky and happy SOB.

best,

Mark

Comment

This cap looks good to me. I used to own a similar looking OKK cap.
            -Lee

Comment

Well, it is going to get a hands-on inspection !
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Stonemint, I'm sure that you will be very happy with it when you have in your hands. IMO there is no doubts about it and with the pictures is clear that the wreath and eagle have some toning, but as always in the pictures everything is more clear/bright. As I told IMO is a typical OKK cap.
                Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Good discussion. I accept the majority view that this cap is correct, certainly late-war with cobbled material, but personally, I do not favor officer visors with celleon insignia; hardly the obvious choice for a company-grade rank, in any event, and a negative factor on resale, in my opinion.

Comment

Frog--I have bought it, but have yet to inspect it. I have seen cello insignia w/ bullion on late-war visors--the celleon on the visor is integral to the construction of the visor, while insignia is added after the fact.

My only concern is re-sewn insignia (ie, wreath and eagle), but I should be able to discern that rather easily (and the insignia does not look re-sewn in the pix).

Only a hands-on will tell, and if it passes my "58-point inspection", its a keeper (and I will have the noted Kriegsmarine expert Mr. Jody Beltram inspect it with me.)

Once I get it, I will give you all a full report, but based on pix alone, I very much like what I see....
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

What if it only passes 57 pts

Comment

Well, after a "lovely" weekend trip to beautiful downtown Kingman, AZ this weekend, the hat was waiting for me. Since I am somewhat tired, I have only been able to do 1/2 of my inspection.

I tried to get some outdoor shots, but there is no overcast, and the setting sun is overly orange--but you get the idea. Here is the hat, out of direct sunlight, no flash:
                        Attached Files
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

A little more shadow--you can tell the insignia is not as bright as per Marks earlier pix. The bullion is a perfect match.
                          Attached Files
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Right side--nice, unmothed and undamaged doeskin wool:
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Left side--I have to believe this is an unissued Depot Queen, but there is nothing that screams "late-war" about it:
                              Attached Files
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

The eagle exhibits no signs of re-stitching. There are no stitch-holes in the lining, and the thread does not go thru the lining.
                                Attached Files
                                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 14 users online. 0 members and 14 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X