No announcement yet.

"Alteste Berliner"--A Primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys! Now, any ideas on a decent way to replace the peak stiffener? I'd like to reshape it, and the lining has already been cut when the stiffener was removed. What could I use?

Comment

Bringing this to the top for Mr. Tom "I don't give a whit"-man!
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I have two more Alteste's on the way we can play with. A very, very kind member has sent them to me for helping him out with another cap.

Comment

great thread guys

Comment

Putting these hats where they belong....
            Attached Files
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

"Textbook" Alteste:
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I gotta say this is the first LW Alteste I can recall seeing--there must have been a shortage of bullion LW insignia in the 60's....
                Attached Files
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I wonder if these Alteste caps were made with an intention to pass as originals? Was there a big market for Third Reich militaria in the 50's and 60's? Also, do all Alteste caps that come with a sweatshield are marked "Alteste…" etc.?

Comment

Hi guys,

This is really interesting reading, even for someone like me who doesn't collect these sorts of visor caps! Did anyone happen to notice that some of these caps show the Fabrik address as Wilhelmstrasse 66, while others show the address as Wilhelmstrasse 110? Just an observation! In addition, a little historical factoid: these Wilhelmstrasse addresses were right in the middle of the government quarter - for example, the Reichs Justice Ministry address was Wilhelmstrasse 65 -which, as we all know, had the crap bombed out of it during the latter stages of the War!!!! Doubt very much that they were making hats there after the bombing started!

Bill B.
                    Last edited by Bill B.; 02-13-2008, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill B. View Post
                      Hi guys,

This is really interesting reading, even for someone like me who doesn't collect these sorts of visor caps! Did anyone happen to notice that some of these caps show the Fabrik address as Wilhelmstrasse 66, while others show the address as Wilhelmstrasse 110? Just an observation! In addition, a little historical factoid: these Wilhelmstrasse addresses were right in the middle of the government quarter - for example, the Reichs Justice Ministry address was Wilhelmstrasse 65 -which, as we all know, had the crap bombed out of it during the latter stages of the War!!!! Doubt very much that they were making hats there after the bombing started!

Bill B.
                      You are correct. In an older thread I think I verified that one of those addresses belonged to something else.

Comment

This is another great thread that should be pinned so it's at the top.
                        Excellent information.

Vaughn

Comment

Just got alerted to this one on ebay currently--a rarely seen all-bullion Alteste with an ersatz s/b (do we call this "late cold-war quality?!):
                          Attached Files
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

"snake eating its tail":
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Bullion--could be a replacement for metal insignia:
                              Attached Files
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Guess the supply of the triple serial # s/b's dried up!
                                Attached Files
                                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 19 users online. 0 members and 19 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X