How do you display your visors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you display your visors?

My visor collection is slowly growing and I'm now wondering what is the safest way to display them, ie; keeping pressure off the visor, maintaining form and so on. Currently I use unbleached muslin to keep the hats off of the shelf, but I'm interested in seeing/hearing how others protect/display their visors. Please show and describe how you do it. Here is an example of mine but I feel it could be done better!
    Regards,
    Erich
    Attached Files

Hi Erich,
    I have the same problem as you with a growing collection and a need to display them somehow.

I have tried various methods.
    1. just laying them down >> not good for the visors and not good when cap is out of shape
    2. make a solid form made of wood, cardboard and covered by cheese cloth. >> very time consuming to make everything fit and finished.
    3. use Styrofoam, cut it into the correct shape, paint it (for keeping the dangerous fumes in) and then covering it in cheescloth >> very time consuming to get a close fit and not certain if the styrofoam acids might leak into the cap after all.

My preferred method today is very cheap and very quick to make. It looks nice on most caps. Most importantly it keeps the cap in shape and the visor of the shelf. The weight of the cap is carried by the "friction" at the sweatband.

This is how I do it:
    1. I cut a strip of corogated cardboard (from an old cardboard box or something). The width of the strip will determine how high the cap is from the shelf. I use 14cm width.
    Make sure the ridges of the corogated cartboard are perpendicular to the length of the strip
    Make sure it is long enough so when in the cap its ends overlap
    2. I bend the strip of cartboard at about every corogation
    3. I place it in the cap, and try to make as large a ring as possible. Mark where the ends overlap
    4. Take out the strip, find the mark and glue the ends together.
    5. After letting the glue dry it is ready to fit inside the cap.

here are to pictures to illustrate
    Attached Files

Comment

And here the finished product.
      Of coarse it is possible to put a more nutral colored (cheese)cloth covering over the cardboard.

what do you guys think
      Attached Files

Comment

I went to the fabric store and got some suede looking material and some pillow stuffing and made some of these to put the caps on. Keeps them off the shelf and fills out the shape without stressing the cap.
        Worked for me. Just had to get past the looks from the ladies that were wondering what I was doing in there. Here are some pics.
        Attached Files

Comment

visor on the shelf
          Attached Files

Comment

works for field caps too
            Attached Files

Comment

In my HO the best way to display a cap is to use a headform that has a 100% acid free cover, like unbleached calico. This keeps all nasty stuff away from your pride and joy.

an article like this is advisable:
              Attached Files
              Last edited by sturmbannfuhrer; 04-15-2007, 11:59 AM.

Comment

But if you don't want it to end up like this:
                Attached Files

Comment

Store it in a box like this:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Which keeps it nice and sweet like this(I only keep my damaged erel engineers on display, it is starting to regain shape thanks to bit of tlc, and the recent spoons posting might be worth a try):
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sturmbannfuhrer View Post
                      In my HO the best way to display a cap is to use a headform that has a 100% acid free cover, like unbleached calico. This keeps all nasty stuff away from your pride and joy.

an article like this is advisable:

Did you make these yourself or buy them somewhere? Looks great

Comment

Some good ideas here. More, more! NTZ, Stonemint what do you gentleman use?

Comment

I just use small chenille pillows. On top of each pillow I put a moth packet, and then I put the hat over it. I have the hats lined up on adjustable shelves. (I will post the end result next week, when I have my "grand unveiling".)

This is the type of pillow I use--I like pillows because they keep the weight off the visor, and distribute the weight equally around the band.

If you look at my other threads, you will get the idea--here is my mining hat on one:
                          Attached Files
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I take a Styrofoam globe and cut it in half, then cover it in muslim cloth and finish it off in inexpensive satin.
                            Attached Files

Comment

How effective would it be if you cover a styrofoam globe with a woollen beenie style cap? Would that be sufficient insulation to protect the cap from the styrofoam acids Jacques.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X