Mint M43 on Estand - Up For Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mint M43 on Estand - Up For Discussion

The cap itself I have no issues with, but I would like to discuss the application of the Eagle trapezoid. Here is the link:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=1#post1939279

The early Bevo Traps that I have seen are all folded over at the top, then sewn, then sewn down the sides. (Note does not apply to the later Traps). Once the Trap is applied another stitch is run across the top of the cap to secure the lining. Sometimes if the Trap is high enough and the stitch will cross it.

The thread used to close the cap and apply the insignia are all the same in the caps I have seen. Thoughts?

I borrowed one shot from the estand to explain what I am saying.
    Attached Files
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Looks like different thread from a distance here
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado View Post
      The cap itself I have no issues with, but I would like to discuss the application of the Eagle trapezoid.
      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=1#post1939279

OK I'll start, Nice hat.

B. N. Singer

Comment

I like it

Comment

I am sure I will be in a minority on this one, but it's a good learning experience either way. This is my issues. I know you will say it's a variation, but I have never come across one that I was 100% sure of that has both of these Variations:

1. Different thread for eagle and cap stitching (especially the top stitch on cap)
          2. Early Bevo style Trap not folded over at the top then sewn from back side.

Each one by themselves OK, variation. But both together, I suspect reapplication. I will stand in the minority.

Comment

Reapplication of the eagle would command the opening of the lining. If the lining is untouched, then there would be no case of reapplication.

Comment

If one can accept that one type thread was used for the construction of the cap, then another type thread was used to just apply the eagle in non-standard way, then the original cap thread was again used just to apply the finishing stitch to the top of cap then great.

I would not trust restitching of the liner. I know of people that can do that and do it well enough to fool most of us.

Comment

Last edited by besslein; 04-13-2007, 07:48 AM.

Comment

The E-stand is policed by members and whether I am purchasing has no bearing on the discussion. Your comment implies we cannot challenge an item on the E-stand unless we are buying, is that what you are implying? I questioned the item and unlike many members actually put out a reason why based on logic.

Comment

The E-stand is policed by members and whether I am purchasing has no bearing on the discussion. Your comment implies we cannot challenge an item on the E-stand unless we are buying, is that what you are implying? I questioned the item and unlike many members actually put out a reason why based on logic.
                    Totally agree with Jeff on his challenge of an item on Estand. Too many people are afraid of making waves by not doing so and to me, Estand can be as risky as Ebay. I also agree that the two points he raises are criteria I like to see on an M43 hat. Exceptions exist I'm sure, but they are valid criteria, IMO.

Comment

no Jeff I want say only that without hand inspection is very hard to say something
                      more,and if the buyer is not happy with the insignia he can alway return it to seller back or He can ask here for options with better photos
                      I think you agree with me that without beeter photos from lining its hard to do beeter option?

Comment

,,,here is my cap,please note that the sewn color of insignia is another as the cap is sewn,my hat is 100% original,IMO this is not uncomon.
                        Attached Files

Comment

While it may be an "early" style bevo trap, it is a late manufactured M43. In this case, the trap application is not unusual. I still like to see the same thread used in its application..

Comment

Jeff, in my personal opinion this cap looks really nice.
                            Luca
                            Last edited by oragno; 04-13-2007, 09:18 AM.
                            Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

Hat question

My contribution… first let me say that:
                              <!--[if !supportLists]-->1)<!--[endif]-->Jeff of course has every right to post his observations and questions about the hat, its insignia etc.
                              <!--[if !supportLists]-->2)<!--[endif]-->If nothing else, it is an opportunity to learn about what we all consider acceptable for these hats.
                              <o></o>
                              I think Jeff is saying that in the hats he has examined, they have all possessed similar traits. So I did some digging in past threads to see what the evidence suggests. Here is what I found, based on Jeff’s 2 main issues: Insignia not flipped over, and applied with thread of a color different from the rest of the hat.
                              <o></o>
                              Here is a hat posted by Glenn that has the following characteristics from what I can tell:
                              <!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Late war trap, machine sewn zig zag without being flipped over
                              <!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Different color thread sewing on the trap from the rest of the hat
                              <!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Two different color threads on the upper part of the scallop!
                              <o></o>
                              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=m43
                              <o></o>
                              Now see this thread for a lot of M43 hats. See post #47 for a similar hat with a trap sewn the same way (not flipped over). Stitching on his hat may be the same color.
                              <o></o>
                              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175242&highlight=m43<o></o>
                              <o></o>
                              In the same thread, see post #81. On this hat, 2 different color threads are used on the front button down part of the hat.
                              <o></o>
                              Same thread, post #86, officer hat. Trap not flipped over, thread appears to be different than the rest of the hat.
                              <o></o>
                              See post #93 for a perfect example of what Jeff is talking about (I think), where a stitch line actually goes thru the top part of the trap.
                              HC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X