No announcement yet.

This Just In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You KM guys really need to start a thread on a primer as to what to look for in these things. I have never owned a KM visor, and their construction is decidedly different in a lot of ways from the other branches. Further, they often lack maker marks, and it appears that the "fantastic 4" makers didn't make a whole heck of a lot of them--they seem to have been made by cottage makers located around the port towns, or in France.

How about it, guys?
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Cheers Aardvark,
      You know, I cannot really tell what the material is to be honest, and, like you, I don't want to take apart the stiffener to see what it is on the other side. It is definitely a roughened surface which could be an linen/epoxy combo. My understanding for this 'plastic-like' material for the officers and the plastic for the NCO is the simple need for something water-proof.

Its funny I look at my Royal Navy caps, which are of very similar construction as KM caps (with some critical differences), and these have the old-type of woven hemp stiffener. It makes sense to me that the more chemical-industry oriented Germans would want to replace such a stiffener with a modern epoxy or plastic material.
      -Lee

Originally posted by aardvark View Post
      Lee...no offense anymore either...and I do think your avatar is snappy...but in a good way. The "board" in your and my caps is PVC like? I certainly haven't taken my cap apart to see what it's made of, but I thought it was cardboard with a epoxy(or some heavy duty glue)infused cheesecloth...hense the term pasteboard. I don't know anything about Heer caps and the like but don't they have a similar band stiffener? Stonemint can help out here. But the texture is not smooth...and leads me to believe it's some sort of composite. Been doing some reading about PVC...good results were achieved in 1926 by BF Goodrich. So I suppose it could be PVC or PVC like. But why the texture? For added strength?

Comment

Not a bad idea, but we would really need to pull in Michel and Gordon to do this in anything approaching something worthwhile. Nobody, in my opinion, has had more KM visors in their hands than these two guys.
        -Lee

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
        You KM guys really need to start a thread on a primer as to what to look for in these things. I have never owned a KM visor, and their construction is decidedly different in a lot of ways from the other branches. Further, they often lack maker marks, and it appears that the "fantastic 4" makers didn't make a whole heck of a lot of them--they seem to have been made by cottage makers located around the port towns, or in France.

How about it, guys?

Comment

Sounds good to me. But there are so many variations. Hell I still don't know what my band is made of! I'm looking at it...creme colored...textured just like cheesecloth...flexible...and I have no idea what it is. I had always just assumed it was a composite...really just took a few looks and made my decision...pasteboard covered with cheesecloth infused epoxy/resin/coating whatever. Lee makes a very interesting case. A PVC type..if not PVC material was available at the time. And since it was...why weren't most caps made with this type of stiffner? I've had seven caps at one time. The two white ones have been seen. The NCO I posted has the clear band...though it's more brown opaque...from it's honest age. In addition I've had an officers with a black plastic band...a NCO "crusher" type...that had no liner and never had one... had a cardboard like band...and a leather peak with the greatest scoring I've seen, looked intentional. Two more I had featured the black bands. So, my experience is mostly with black bands and the plas/pvc/cheese board from hell. All very interesting...and certainly a learning experience.

Comment

Lee...I totally agree about waterproofing. For the KM bands these plastics and coatings so on were used for obvious reasons. Anything else just wouldn't stand up to the conditions. I also agree about Michel and Gordon...Michel has a great collection...and certainly has been collecting KM alot longer than me. Stonemint...there were many makers of KM caps..just as you said..ports..France..etc. The white top in better shape I have has it's sweatshield/maker intact...and it's a beauty, very fine silver script...Wilh. Spechtmeyer..line underneath..Cuxhaven. Has anyone ever heard of this maker? I've asked alot of people and noone ever has. The cap is of such delicate tight construction..whoever Spachtmeyer was, he knew how to make a great cap.

regards,

Mark
            Last edited by aardvark; 04-14-2007, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X