X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes of course !

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
      One thing that is nice to see is the interior of this cap did not find its way into a fake Alg . generals visor. What an ideal lining for a faker to use. Maybe I should not have said that.
      What du you think exactly ?

Comment

Mohr u. Speyer was one of the "big 3" elite tailors of the III Reich--the others being "Stechbarth" and "Holters"--you ought to be bery happy with this cap. (BTW, since we are on the subject, does anyone have a "Stechbarth" visor in their collection--I would love to see it).
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I've looked at the pics a little closer now and there are some concerns.
          First, the sweatband does look either replaced or repaired. The hand-stitching around the back is not up to standards and neither is the stitching around the front, under the turn-up, which should be machine
          sewn. Also, the exterior band-seam is at the rear of the cap and not at the front where it would be completely hidden by the winged wreath.
          That is not a huge deal for me, because I'm sure I've had LW caps like
          that in the past. However, there are collectors out there (and on this
          forum) who swear no Luft Officers caps were ever constructed like this.
          Food for thought . . .

Comment

Brian--I have had a few LW visors that were 100% original with the seam for the band at the rear, so this is no red flag for me. However, you are right about the sweatband on this cap--it has been re-stitiched at some point, but based on pictures alone, it looks good.
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by POLICE View Post
              What du you think exactly ?
              The cap looks good, I see no problems with it. I was just commenting that the lining is very similar to ones found in Alg. SS officer’s visors.

Regarding the sweatband stitching , from these picks I don't see a problem. A better shot of the stitching around the front on the inside would be a better indicator.

Comment

better shot

Better shot !

Comment

Yep, that band has been re-stitched for sure. I wouldn't consider it a major issue though, so long as the band looks to be original to the cap.

Comment

Yep, restitched. I agree with Ben, not that big of a deal.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Value

For you what the value of this cap with the band restitched ?

Comment

I don't want to cast any undue doubt on this cap, because I like it too, but one does have to wonder why the entire sweatband fell off of a cap in such otherwise excellent condition. And on 90% of caps, when the sweatband is loose, so is the visor. So there does have to be a thorough in-hand examination to conclude that both are not recent applications.

If everything does checkout, I would think $800-850 would be fair both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bonini View Post

Oh, and I know your no novice! I've admired many of the pieces you've sold of late!
                            Thanks Brian! I haven't sold much in a while - too busy trying to run my business. As soon as I get a chance, I'm probably going to sell the last few in my possession. We'll see.

Clive

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X