GeneralAssaultMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe M43 EM/NCO Feldmützen: real one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Quote:]
    Originally Posted by B. N. Singer
    .... how about the (what appears from the pictures) "contrived" aging on the underside of the bill and the national colors??......[/Quote:]

most pictures with more ligth:

Comment

Comment

The eagle is troublesome. Except for the odd spaces in the wings (circled in red) it looks like a original example, but those gaps really bother me.

I am also bothered by a maker's mark in a 43 dated cap, and somewhat by a machine sewn padded cockade, very uncommon.

Perhaps it is good, but given these issues, I'd pass on it were it offered to me.

John
        Attached Files
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by BCV View Post
          most pictures with more ligth:
          Is that hand sewing on the lining where it attaches to the visor? Very atypical.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
            Is that hand sewing on the lining where it attaches to the visor? Very atypical.

B. N. Singer
            Ahhhh. The old eagle-eyes! That WOULD concern me...

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
              The eagle is troublesome. Except for the odd spaces in the wings (circled in red) it looks like a original example, but those gaps really bother me.
              Hi John

Are you in troubled with these as well? I******180;m a bit confused now (in that case)...ok, cloth gear is not my thing.

BCV******180;s eagle is the top-one.
              Last edited by Gerd W.; 03-12-2007, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I know Gerd, "Halfar style" birds. These caps are all probably good, but remember, I am ultra skeptical/careful. The Halfar tropical cap eagles I am used to never have this gap in the wings. Perhaps something that was short lived during a production run. The same eagles used on caps of different makers does not bother me.
                John
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

This is the summary at this moment:

B. N. Singer, Glenn McInnes and Wolften say that it is a falsification (There are some construction details that are very 'odd')

John Huff says ( If that is a fake, it is the best Luft fake I have ever seen!)

John Hodgin says it is probably fake ("Halfar style" birds and a maker's mark in a 43 dated cap)

THEN THE VERDICT, (at the moment), IS THAT IT IS FAKE

Comment

John Hodgin says it is probably fake ("Halfar style" birds and a maker's mark in a 43 dated cap)
                    I am sorry but I did not say it was a fake. I did say that it is troublesome for I am not familiar with these. They could be good, further research is needed. Some provenance would be helpful!
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Interesting thread, BCV. Usually Luft M43's are pretty cut-and-dried (meaning definitely good or definitely bad). But IMO, if the lining is hand-stitched in front of the cap in an M43, it means the lining has been lifted so that the insignia can be machine sewn without stitch marks through the lining. All this means is that the insignia was probably re-applied post-war but does not necesarily condemn the hat itself. However, Niedersachsen has shown a series of hats with what seems to be similar eagles and all stitched the same way... I am perplexed! (confused).

Comment

Originally posted by John Huff View Post
                        All this means is that the insignia was probably re-applied post-war but does not necesarily condemn the hat itself. However, Niedersachsen has shown a series of hats with what seems to be similar eagles and all stitched the same way... I am perplexed! (confused).
                        I******180;m confused as well.....so you******180;re not alone

Anyway, IMHO it******180;s not cogently, that the insignas on Bernard******180;s cap have been attached postwar, if the only reason is a (maybe) hand sewned front part (could be repair or whatever else).

A potential faker should be able to attach the insignias to the cap at the right moment.
                        An "ops....I forgott the eagle and crokade....lets open the frontpart again " is not what I would suppose if someone tries to make a very convincing fake (if this cap is one). Handsewned insignas would have made more sence in that case.

As said before, cloth head gear is not my cup of tea, but I would like to learn.......

So maybe Mr. Singer or some other of the more knowledgeable guys around will lift up the curtain.

Comment

This is the summary at this moment:
                          THEN THE VERDICT, (at the moment), IS THAT IT IS FAKE :

Certainly I do NOT wish to play "judge, jury and executioner". Without being able to inspect the item, the best I can venture is an opinion.

Let me rephrase, if I were looking to buy an example and had to make a decision based on what has been shown, I do not think I would be comfortable with this one.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
                            Certainly I do NOT wish to play "judge, jury and executioner". Without being able to inspect the item, the best I can venture is an opinion.

B. N. Singer
                            If it seems to you opportune, Mr Singer, I can send you the cap so that you will be able to inspect the item, if with that, you consider that you can leave doubts.
                            I am arranged to send the feltmützen to the some other of the more knowledgeable person of this forum to leave doubts.

(All the costs of shipment by my account, of course):

OK??

Comment

If it seems to you opportune, Mr Singer, I can send you the cap so that you will be able to inspect the item, if with that, you consider that you can leave doubts.
                              I am arranged to send the feltmützen to the some other of the more knowledgeable person of this forum to leave doubts.

(All the costs of shipment by my account, of course):

OK??
                              I am flattered that you would like me to examine your hat and of course I would be more than happy to do it for you (or any one else for that matter).

Further, after examining it and determining it to be Original (in my opinion) I would enjoy nothing more than being able to publicly tell you and the other forum members that you have an original hat and that I was Wrong!!

B. N. Singer

Comment

Mr Singer, the send is do it

Alea jacta est

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X