No announcement yet.

Panzer Beret Winter Fur Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a very neat piece of headgear. Unfortunately, I am allergic to rabbit fur.

Comment

Ron,

Excellant Panzer fur cap!! Not too long ago I posted mine on this forum and yours is the only other one I have seen. look here for my posting

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/foru...d.php?t=179401

Comment

The winter hat utilizing the panzer beret lining is one of the more unusual and interesting pieces of 3rd Reich headgear. With the abandonment of the padded panzer beret crash helmet, the surplus of remaining and turned-in beret crash helmets gave the German ingenuity a use for everything. The wool beret covers were abandoned to be recycled for cloth. The left over crash helmets were fitted with rayon covers with rabbit fur trim, for pulling down, in severe weather. Because the crash helmet padding is made of horse hair, the insulation is superior to other forms of cloth or fabric lining. Because there was no further production of crash helmets after 1940 ( probably 1939), the production run was done once and abandoned.

This is just a short synopsis of the reuse of an expensive obsolete item rather than making disgards.

They are NOT winter panzer berets, but winter hats utilizing the surplus and ill designed (too large for the cramped quarters) panzer beret liners.

Bob Hritz
        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Very neat! Here is one I used to own. Now in the hands of a fellow forum member. It was vet aquired. best wishes,
          jeff
          Attached Files
          Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                ...They are NOT winter panzer berets, but winter hats utilizing the surplus and ill designed (too large for the cramped quarters) panzer beret liners.
                Bob Hritz

Correct Mr. Hritz and a fairly accurate history "synopsis" as well. Nice information to be posted for the forum members.

Keep looking, as they are still available if you search hard enough, although much more appreciated today than they were in a day gone by.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                  They are NOT winter panzer berets, but winter hats utilizing the surplus and ill designed (too large for the cramped quarters) panzer beret liners.
                  Bob Hritz
                  Have to agree with Bob and Mr. Singer here, a very wise and advanced Panzer collector taught me this.
                  Regards,
                  John
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Here's one I picked up years ago.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Interior
                      Attached Files

Comment

wow!

Comment

I've been trying to find the value of these winter hats for some time now and can't find any up for sale to get a idea of what they are going for,if anyone can help me out with a value I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help
                          James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X