No announcement yet.

DAK Pz Sidecap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mark, as mentioned the cap is original but the soutache is post war added.

Regards,

Comment

The stories are true about the caps , I have handled them. But the one pictured is not one of them . It is an original cap but as said the soutache is added and color looks off.
      Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Sayle F
        The stories are true about the caps , I have handled them. But the one pictured is not one of them . It is an original cap but as said the soutache is added and color looks off.
        Kevin
        Well Folks _
        Many Thanks! I appreciate all the input. As for the post-war soutache...
        Cheers All!
        Mark.

Comment

And here's how I'll display it until I work out a complete mannequin.
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Or...
              Attached Files

Comment

Now I need headphones
                Mark.
                Attached Files

Comment

Great score Mark! Its always nice to hear that a collector is getting over for a change. Jim

Comment

Mark, do not touch that soutache until you have double checked it. This may not be a post-war addition but a war time addition. I have seen black panzer side caps which were not issued with a soutache so the panzer man decided to add one despite the regulations. If the other guys in his unit still had them on their caps then he might decide he wanted one too or if it replaced a cap with a soutache then the owner might add the soutache to replace exactly what he had. If you look at the pictures of the Tiger 1's in Africa you will see alot of soutaches being worn in March, April & May 1943. Check if it is correct soutache material from the various types which existed or is it Italian cord ? I know it is very un-likely the factory would put a soutache on a cap in December 1942 but it is not to say an individual would not and this is how they would apply them. Keep in mind also that the company stores officers were changing soutaches late 1941 & 1942 to meet demand between sizes and units because of the chronic shortages of caps.

Another interesting point is the date 12 42, all the caps which I have seen from these famous stock-pile finds which I think were some thing to do with bee-keepers and their hives have been dated 8 42 and may be 9 42. I can not recall one dated 12 42. I wonder if your cap was veteran brought back ? May be others on the forum can confirm what the dates on their HB manufactured caps are ?

My advice would be to double check this carefully, Chris
                    Last edited by 90th Light; 01-21-2006, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Never take off the soutache.. it looks too good on there regardless..brandt is the only maker I ve seen that didnt get the message about soutache...Billbert

Comment

Hi guys,
                        I'm leaving the soutache on in the meantime, as I'm happy to use it in a Pz setting. The stitching, I should mention, does not go through to the internal material, only the exterior layer. I don't have enough reference on soutache piping Chris, but as I don't intend to sell it at all, you'll get to handle it in October at the Mainland Gun Show.
                        The cap came from a collector who bought as original, but was told the large date stamps 'proved' it was a repro, so lost interest in it.
                        My Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread!
                        Mark.

Comment

Thanks Mark, you can not bet a hands on inspection. I would be interested to know if the soutache or thread glows under a black light ? Although having said this, panzer pink is one of those colours you have to study with caution because real stuff can glow.

I could be barking up the wrong tree with the dates, the more I think about it, some of the HB caps found may have been dated 11 42 but the one you have has interesting possibilities and at the price you got it it does not matter either way. Excellent cap and if it is panzer even better, Chris
                          Last edited by 90th Light; 01-22-2006, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                            I don't know if this will clarify or confuse the issue, but here are some detailed shots of the soutache. It is tucked into slits at it's ends.
                            Hope this helps?
                            Mark.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X