Comment

Opinions on this marking please.
      Attached Files
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I'd say good
        WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

The date doesn't look typical, especially the "9".

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by juvatwad View Post
            The date doesn't look typical, especially the "9".

Ian
            Ian, please read this thread from the beginning and you will see the "9" is the more accepted style. Here is a photo of one of Larry Foley's ex-caps, another 1941 Berolina which is 100% textbook.

Am wondering if the photo I posted is an original stamp, or an improved copy of the original stamp.
            Attached Files
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Together. Top stamp: genuine without any doubt.
              Attached Files
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Marking from a genuine 1940 Berolina.
                Attached Files
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I think you are right to be cautious, John. It has a few differences to known originals.

Comment

John,

I agree with Steve.

Comment

John, is the cap able to convince on it's own?

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                        Ian, please read this thread from the beginning and you will see the "9" is the more accepted style. Here is a photo of one of Larry Foley's ex-caps, another 1941 Berolina which is 100% textbook.

Am wondering if the photo I posted is an original stamp, or an improved copy of the original stamp.
                        I have of course already read the thread, thanks, and the "9" still looks different to me. The top portion appears fatter in the photo you posted then I am used to seeing. The "1" also appears a bit more "flat" at the top.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by juvatwad View Post
                          I have of course already read the thread, thanks, and the "9" still looks different to me. The top portion appears fatter in the photo you posted then I am used to seeing. The "1" also appears a bit more "flat" at the top.

Ian
                          Good Ian, sorry, did not know you were referring to the specifics you just described.

Another difference which has not been mentioned yet is how letters and numerals look "hollow" or light in their centers on the questionable stamp. Just from the stamp being light on ink? The known legitimate stamps are solid and blacked in.

Thanks Larry and Steve.

Gene, what are your thoughts now that this has gone a bit deeper?
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I dunno. Based on the marking it definitely would fool me if it is indeed bad; here are pics of my enlisted and officer Berolina caps
                            Attached Files
                            WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                              I dunno. Based on the marking it definitely would fool me if it is indeed bad; here are pics of my enlisted and officer Berolina caps
                              Thanks Gene, and of course I like the stamps in your caps, a lot. But the one I posted yesterday, nope. Am not certain about it either, but to use a Lennyism, "it is well beyond my comfort zone."

AND, if it is a new copy, this very thread is likely responsible for it's creation!

More about the stamp after others have had the chance to comment.
                              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by Zauberflöte View Post
                                John, is the cap able to convince on it's own?
                                The cap and ink stamp may both be fine, more study is needed. However the insignia on the cap would not be for me. Will post photos later after the ink stamp discussion has gone further.
                                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X