Panzer Cavalry M40 Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lutfen View Post
    I brought this to xxxxx attention, and others alerted xxxx. They have confirmed that they did not give their blessing to this hat to support a sale.

IMO, the hat itself may be original, but the eagle is clearly bad.

Michael
    Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread.

I have invited the chap who sold me the cap to view this thread as the comments substantiate that I am justified in returning the cap for a refund.

Keith

Comment

Just this thread alone makes me happy to be a member .

Comment

Did anyone notice this thread?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ngpfeil&page=3

Comment

I'm posting to say that I handled the cap analyzed in this thread about 5 years ago. At that time, I saw it along with half a dozen other caps of various types in the same collection. I thought it was authentic at the time. Having examined the photos posted, I am still of this opinion, apart from the eagle, of course. The construction, materials and stamping correspond to period items I've come across. I realize that this maker's stamp is often found on copies, but this example matches the specifications of the type used in 1940.

To repeat myself, I believe the cap is itself a good one, with original cockade and soutache braid that are original to the cap, but the eagle is a very bad copy- eyes, feet, asymmetrical swastika, feathers not properly aligned etc.
          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by 3Auck View Post
            I'm posting to say that I handled the cap analyzed in this thread about 5 years ago. At that time, I saw it along with half a dozen other caps of various types in the same collection. I thought it was authentic at the time. Having examined the photos posted, I am still of this opinion, apart from the eagle, of course. The construction, materials and stamping correspond to period items I've come across. I realize that this maker's stamp is often found on copies, but this example matches the specifications of the type used in 1940.

To repeat myself, I believe the cap is itself a good one, with original cockade and soutache braid that are original to the cap, but the eagle is a very bad copy- eyes, feet, asymmetrical swastika, feathers not properly aligned etc.
            Alan
            Alan, did you point out the fake eagle to ×× when you saw the cap five years ago?

Thank you, Keith
            Last edited by Lenny W; 04-27-2020, 07:36 AM.

Comment

I don't remember, but I wasn't the only one looking at several caps at the time and it is fairly obvious

Comment

Sorry Ian. Certainly not you, I used ×× as I am reluctant to post the guy's surname on the public forum. This for several reasons, but mainly I do not wish to upset someone I am friendly with, life is to short to make enemies.

Keith
                Last edited by Lenny W; 04-27-2020, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X