No announcement yet.

Kriegsmarine Admirals Visor cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So sadly..the admirals cap has hit a mine..is taking on serious water..and appears to be headed for Davie Jones locker..nothing new about that..Billbert

Comment

On the flip side, here is a TR-era marine visor (probably Handelsmarine) posing as Imperial Navy:
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
        The cap belonged to a collector named Sam Nesmith of San Antonio, TX who passed away a few years ago. I knew Sam a bit as one of my friends is married to his niece. I visited Sam's home about fifteen years ago - he had a massive collection of every conceivable type of militaria from all eras and countries, but was by no means an expert on everything, particularly TR-era items. He had numerous reproductions mixed in with more common TR items that were good. Nearly all of his high-end German stuff - color-piped SS officer visors, SS tunics, diplomatic visors, etc., were bad - and they weren't high-end fakes, they were Jankes and Polish "Hero Collection" type stuff. I don't recall seeing this visor in his collection at the time, but he had so much stuff it could have been overlooked.

WRT the Admiral's visor, I looked it over pretty carefully at the auction. I agree that the body of the cap is original Imperial, but I was not overly impressed with the way the new visor had been sewn on, plus the already-mentioned chinstrap, which I believe is of post-war manufacture. It was enough for me to not bid on it.

Don
        Thank you ! You have gave very valuable information. I was able to find his collection that was sold off at auction INCLUDING my cap. I really can't thank you enough ! And I do find it sad that this accomplished collector is now gone. To add on the chin strap is that I believe that its made by the Aug. Geiger. Kiel and that was just their style. Notice how the liner and chin strap both have the same backing material and we know that the liner is obviously not a fake. Best regards

Comment

When it comes down to it..all that really matters is that the owner is happy with their acquisitions..UNTIL IT COMES TIME FOR RESALE..JMHO Billbert

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
            On the flip side, here is a TR-era marine visor (probably Handelsmarine) posing as Imperial Navy:
            Yes possibly. Note on my cap there is the 'High Wreath" style with 3 rows of Oak leaves. This style is very rare and commonly associated with the WW1 German merchant marine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X