Kriegsmarine Admirals Visor cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine Admirals Visor cap

Hello gentlemen, you are witnessing one of the most important Kriegsmarine posts to be on WarRelics. Here I have a excellent WW2 Kriegsmarine Admirals visor cap that I bough for a bargain not long ago. My unofficial statement on it is: The visor is very complicated indeed. But before we dive into this I would like to state that any comments saying this is 100% Fake will be ignored. Everything is original on the cap. This cap came from the supreme collection of a well known collector. The cap has many scenarios it could have gone through. Lets start out with the most obvious situation. The original owner of the cap had served in the imperial German navy (Hence the visor being in a imperial form). He then proceeded to carry out his naval career in the Reichsmarine (Hence the Reichsmaine styled wreath). And finally ending his career in the Kriegsmarine as a admiral. This pathway would seem the most logical but may not be the case. See,as shown in the pictures the cap liner is stamped Aug. Geiger Kiel. Deeper research reveals the company not only was in business during Pre-WW2/ During war time, but also Pre-WW1/ War time. They are most known for their Tellermutze's. So this brings up the question of if the liner is a replacement by the company? Is the cap a privet purchase from the company? Is this just a standard Reichsmarine cap? Or, is this truly a WW1 Aug. Geiger produced cap ? I would agree with that its a repair made by the company including the liner, a new chinstrap, and also the addition of gold oak leaves and the national eagle. But even that scenario has possible flaws. In the cap I can see a clear statement. Just like many high ranking men in the Third Reich. They wanted to give a background of their career. EVEN HITLER. What I see represented is; Service in the First World War, service in the Reichsmarine, and service in the Kriegsmarine. If you are still here i'm pleased you took time out of your day to read this. I'd really like to hear any information or opinions any of you have to provide. I ask you nicely to keep this thread positive. P.S. Mind how the liner and the chin strap have the same backing material.
    Attached Files

"But before we dive into this I would like to state that any comments saying this is 100% Fake will be ignored."

"Everything is original on the cap."

"The cap has many scenarios it could have gone through."

"But even that scenario has possible flaws."

"I'd really like to hear any information or opinions any of you have to provide."

Sound like there is only one opinion you are willing to accept.

Congrats on your first post.

Comment

Bizarre.

Comment

The cap body looks Imperial...Billbert

Comment

Chin strap is modern, and not German.

Comment

Originally posted by darekm View Post
            Chin strap is modern, and not German.

You must be confused; "Everything is original on the cap."

Comment

This sold at auction in Texas in October. I had the opportunity to look it over in person. I did not bid.

Don
              Last edited by DonC; 02-11-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Really don't want any opinions .
                Attached Files

Comment

Having a hard time understanding why he even posted??? What I am hearing is that he really bought the story that went along with the purchase.

I do, however, like Billbert, like the Imperial look to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mjfur View Post
                    "But before we dive into this I would like to state that any comments saying this is 100% Fake will be ignored."

"Everything is original on the cap."

"The cap has many scenarios it could have gone through."

"But even that scenario has possible flaws."

"I'd really like to hear any information or opinions any of you have to provide."

Sound like there is only one opinion you are willing to accept.

Congrats on your first post.
                    +1 this sounds like sensorship, I think you joined the wrong forum

Comment

Shall we leave it with "The cap has many scenarios it could have gone through."

Comment

Comment

I believe the OP's position that it is the result of continuous alterations over an extended period of time could be correct. Just not sure if that period ended before 1945..

Not quite convinced this is one of the most important KM posts I have ever had the privilege to witness though..
                          Martin

Comment

Sorry, is it possible to know the name of this (long-term) admiral and the well-known dealer from whose supreme collection you purchased it at a bargain price? The deeper research that reveals the company not only was in business during pre-WW2/during war time, but also pre-WW1/war time, were done by me and therefore I could go into the topic, but not under these conditions (adding only that Geiger was also active during post-WW2...):

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?p=7668942

I leave to the experts of Kriegsmarine (I am a scholar & collector of WSS/Heer hats & uniforms), the relevant assessments on sweatband and peak's embroidery.

Best regards

Comment

The cap belonged to a collector named Sam Nesmith of San Antonio, TX who passed away a few years ago. I knew Sam a bit as one of my friends is married to his niece. I visited Sam's home about fifteen years ago - he had a massive collection of every conceivable type of militaria from all eras and countries, but was by no means an expert on everything, particularly TR-era items. He had numerous reproductions mixed in with more common TR items that were good. Nearly all of his high-end German stuff - color-piped SS officer visors, SS tunics, diplomatic visors, etc., were bad - and they weren't high-end fakes, they were Jankes and Polish "Hero Collection" type stuff. I don't recall seeing this visor in his collection at the time, but he had so much stuff it could have been overlooked.

WRT the Admiral's visor, I looked it over pretty carefully at the auction. I agree that the body of the cap is original Imperial, but I was not overly impressed with the way the new visor had been sewn on, plus the already-mentioned chinstrap, which I believe is of post-war manufacture. It was enough for me to not bid on it.

Don

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X