• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello JP,

thanks for posting it

Ric

Comment

The OLC marked SS buckle is quite interesting!

I thought always just these post war treated buckles bear this specific OLC marking.

JP, have you ever thought about the possibilty that your buckle had also once attached a sun roundel and it was lost in time?

I have here a Heer buckle for comparison. The center (eagle and swastika) is somewhat flatened and I see some similarity to the flat swas on your buckle.

Best,
      Guido
      Attached Files

Comment

First off the buckle I posted photos is not mine but belongs to a collector in South America. But to answer your question I absolutely do not believe so. "sunwheels" postwar SS buckles were not just re-stamped or modified with an additional rounded placed over the original emblem but totally cut off first. The full SS motto along with the swastika were fully removed (air was the only material remaining where once was the swaz and the motto). Then sunwheel was soldered over to hide those holes.
        Also this exact Overhoff logo (exact same size / shape) was already used by the firm before 1945.
        Last, we should not forget the very last SS officers in zinc which were also with just the Overfoff logo and Ges.gesch. On top. So there was no reason to mark officers and not EM's. Don't you agree?
        Jean Pierre Redeuilh
        All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Comment

To be honest, I don't know.

I saw just the flat swastika on the shown SS buckle and it strongly remained me on my post war treated Heer buckle. The Heer buckle is also not totally denazified on the reverse side against to the well known "Volunteer" SS buckle. Further some of these flatened Heer buckles without roundel crossed already my way so I assume the spot-welding was done not very well.

I am aware that Overhoff used the OLC marking in a diamond since the 30th's. I am just unsure if I they used them on pre 1945 SS EM buckles.

Perhaps the flatened swastika SS buckle is an earlier variant of these post war Overhoff products? Who knows!
          Last edited by Guido L.; 03-12-2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Sorry to have been late to answer but I had other priorities. So here are my input:

Originally posted by Guido L. View Post
            To be honest, I don't know.

I saw just the flat swastika on the shown SS buckle and it strongly remained me on my post war treated Heer buckle. The Heer buckle is also not totally denazified on the reverse side against to the well known "Volunteer" SS buckle. Further some of these flatened Heer buckles without roundel crossed already my way so I assume the spot-welding was done not very well.
            This is a feeling but not a certitude. Nothing attests the swastika did undergo a change.

I am aware that Overhoff used the OLC marking in a diamond since the 30th's. I am just unsure if I they used them on pre 1945 SS EM buckles
            See photos of the officer buckle . EXACT SAME logo. This was a ground dug buckle. Whatever was the reason why that over-stamping occurred this wasn't done postwar and shows that marking tool was already in use before 1945.

Perhaps the flatened swastika SS buckle is an earlier variant of these post war Overhoff products? Who knows!
            When a factory goes to this extend (see EM) to remove any relation to the SS (we have to keep in mind those were buckles for the "SS", the most hated fellows in defeated Germany), I strongly doubt such factory will go from mild to hard alteration...
            Attached Files
            Jean Pierre Redeuilh
            All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Comment

And better shot of the swaz of the supposedly flattened buckle.
              Attached Files
              Jean Pierre Redeuilh

Comment

thank you for sharing Jean Pierre
                best
                TEDDY

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X