No announcement yet.

SA / SS transition buckles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps I am right in thinking that there is now a hint of singing from the same hymn sheet, towards that the nickle inset buckle is a fake. I accept Marcs comments that perhaps not a fantasy piece and instead, a variation copy towards an original with a touch of artistic license. The buckle is very often seen for sale on internet auctions and at fairs, with again, variations towards the obverse finish.

The second buckle (brass with brass inset and horizontal wings), is I think more interesting.

A very rare and early SA and especially so due to the distinct design and alleged SS association.

There are two points that worry me.

Are we now seeing fake brass boxed buckles with a "dished" reverse and are we perhaps becoming a trifle neurotic about the eternal clipped claws issue. The former is prime facie - yes or no, although the claw debate is perhaps most subjective.

We are all painfully aware of the OLT style claws, although I hold numerous early "political" box buckles with decidely odd, claw tip arrangements.

Perhaps we are confusing the discussion here by assuming that non symetrical claw tips indicate a fake. Inwardly and directly opposing 45 degrees yes, however surely not so with any other and slightly eccentric, non even claw tips.

Attached is a well known SA fake - a reasonably good obverse, although the reverse to include the claw arrangement, being as subtle as a flying mallet.

The crude and ugly cropped claw tips are the interesting feature and that is what I call problematical .

Regards,

David

p.s. - Marc, perhaps you may consider starting a new post to the effect "Are white metal SA style buckles actually NSKK" - I now think not and thanks (as always) to Christian for providing myself with the "idiots guide" (myself being the idiot).
    Last edited by David North; 09-10-2006, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Reverse

Comment

Claws

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Rea
          Hello all,
          The design of the "fake" roundel actually looks better to me than the "original." More balanced and regal, somehow. Pity it is a copy/wretched fantasy.
          Cheers,
          Kevin
          Not the first time the fake is better than the original!!
          Marc

Comment

Marc

Is that the final response ?

Regards,

David

Comment

Prong is made of brass

Marc....since it was not 100 % clear by the photo, I emailed the seller and had him check the prong with a magnet...he has reported to me that it is made of brass....pleae give me your thoughts about this..thanks...chad

Comment

Originally posted by Renfield
                Marc

Is that the final response ?

Regards,

David
                Hi David, All,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

Final response? On what? The 186 ? Yes the buckle is a fake, we all agree on that.

As for the 187…?. A BRASS prong bar..????? Not very strong don’t you agree?

Sorry but I don’t buy this one; but of course this is my personal opinion.

Is this not the typical scenario:

“ It is so scarce… I paid a lot of money…. I wand it to be good…. So it must be good..” ??

Marc

Comment

Marc...correct me if I am wrong, but on the brass on brass domed back buckle you posted photos of, the prong staple sure does look like brass....that is what I was talking about in my last post...(187) the general consensus of the other buckle(186) is unanimously FAKE...I am just trying to exhaust all doubt before I turn the 187 buckle away as I dont know when I will have the opportunity to buy another one, when you asked about the prong in your post were you speaking of the brass on brass buckle????? I am just a little confused here...the buckle shown in Nash's book also has the buckle identical to the 187 buckle with what appears to be a brass prong and bar...(page 59/ 3-018/2) cant tell in angolias book due to the black and white small photo of the buckle...please advise...chad

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X