JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the 2018 status of the Vimoutiers Tiger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the 2018 status of the Vimoutiers Tiger?

I am planning for our drive to Normandy from Paris in 2019 for the 75th anniversary of D-Day, and would like to stop and see the Vimoutiers Tiger on the way. However, I read somewhere on the web that it was being walled off in March of this year so it could be restored and then moved into a museum.

Can anyone give me an update on the status of this tank, and information on where we will be able to view it next June?

I'm under the impression that it is already at Saumur - and rumor has that it won't be returning, but rather remaining in a Museum [Musée des Blindés?] . . .

Could be wrong, as I lost track after it was reported to barricaded back in April.
    Attached Files

Comment

Oh man, I hope not. Although Saumur is probably the best place for it, I'd hate to see it taken that far away from Normandy. I've been to Saumur twice, but won't be going on this trip.

Comment

Hi,

the Tiger is STILL in Vimoutiers, there is no info that it was moved or will be moved in the next months.

See You

Vince

Comment

Thank you Vince, that is great news. Is it still completely accessible by the public, or was it walled off?

Comment

The Tiger was still in Vimoutiers last week (!)

Comment

In order to protect it, a green mesh has been installed all around…
              Found no pic but a video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuxJLSoX5_0

I wonder if the camera box is an original KwK40 wood box...

Comment

My kids on the tiger

Comment

Yea, that green mesh fence offers a lot of protection.

Thanks for the link to the video. I hope it is still there next June.

Comment

Hi,

two pictures showing the green fence, taken by historian Paul Reed (http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/about.htm) in April 2018.

See You

Vince
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchVolunteer View Post

in April 2018.

Vince
                      In April 2018... Could be today also ! LOL

Eric

Comment

I just hope it stays that way, at least until after June 2019.

Comment

Hi,

actually Eric the goal was to find the earliest known pictures of the Tiger with the green fence, which was installed at the end of March 2018.
                          Paul was one of the first to publish pictures of it.

Below are other pictures, courtesy of tanks-et-panzers.over-blog.com.

The first picture is the look that is planned after the work on the Tiger.

See You

Vince
                          Attached Files

Comment

That is the Munster "Plastiktiger" 231 shown in that picture.

Comment

Hi,

it is what the French team wants to achieve with the Vimoutiers Tiger restauration.

See You

Vince

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X