Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houffalize Panther from 116 PzDiv will be completely overhauled

Read this today:

The Panther Tank from the 116 PanzerDivision exposed at Houffalize is going to be completely overhauled and this with help from the Royal Museum of the Army.

The article is in French

http://www.lameuse.be/1500253/articl...ement-restaure

I think it is about time because that tank is rotting away...

Attached Files

Excellent news . I saw this Panther many years ago , such rare items deserve to be preserved and better again fully restored .

Comment

Great if it is to be a restoration even if just external but not so great if just a new paint job

Comment

I think we will be hearing more soon.
        I don't know if this tank still got his engine. Make it run again won't be possible I guess. Hope it will.
        A few years ago they also refurbished the Sherman at Place Mc Auliffe Bastogne, but that was only the paint.

Will check if it will go to Bastogne barracks or the Army arsenal at Rocourt.

Comment

They would better restore and preserve the Grandmenil one instead. It is in far better condition and more complete, including engine and transmission rotting inside. Very sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJq9gzD2pgE

Comment

What happens once it is "restored"? Put back on outdoor display in the same location, or moved indoors somewhere else?

I've heard that these small towns can be very possessive about monument guns, tanks, etc. So . . . I wonder who owns the Panther (national government or local government) and whether the necessary parties have consented to the Panther being placed elsewhere after it is restored?

In any event, I'm happy to hear that someone is taking an interest in the preservation of this item.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
              Will check if it will go to Bastogne barracks or the Army arsenal at Rocourt.
              The M4 Sherman "Blood´n guts" from Wiltz is also currently at Bastogne barracks for restauration.

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                The M4 Sherman "Blood´n guts" from Wiltz is also currently at Bastogne barracks for restauration.
                They do a great job over there. The vehicles coming out there are real Jewels.

There are some nice German tanks in the collection like a Panzer IV, StuG III,... They still are to be restored.

I've visited once the former Kapellen Depot in the North of Antwerp. Amazing stuff! All moved to Bastogne in 2010 (from Kapellen, Vissenaken, Brussels,..)

I have faith in it they will do a great job again with this nice beast.

Don't know if it will be put in place again.

Will you keep informed

Comment

Didn't Kevin Wheatcroft have the engine out of one of them in exchange for doing it up a bit?

Comment

Can't miss this one . . .

Don't know if it will be put in place again. Will you keep informed
                    Thanks - please do!

Seeing it in-person is on my "Bucket-List" for next year - would really hate to show up, and find it's not there any more . . .

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
                      Thanks - please do!

Seeing it in-person is on my "Bucket-List" for next year - would really hate to show up, and find it's not there any more . . .
                      OK no Prob.

Hope it will be back. These jobs can take quite some time because there are a lot of other jobs like these to do. They have a +300 vehicle park tu sustain.

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerJohn View Post
                        Didn't Kevin Wheatcroft have the engine out of one of them in exchange for doing it up a bit?
                        I think that was the one in Breda, The Netherlands.

Comment

Originally posted by earlymb View Post
                          I think that was the one in Breda, The Netherlands.
                          thats right

Comment

Don't know if it will be put in place again.

Will you keep informed
                            Had contacted Wiltz tourist info last summer when noticed it was gone - they told me their Sherman will come back when finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                              Had contacted Wiltz tourist info last summer when noticed it was gone - they told me their Sherman will come back when finished.
                              Great!
                              But I think it's better (like many guys and definitely you too Patrick) to store refurbished vehicles somewhere inside.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X