No announcement yet.

Michael Wittman - Villers Bocage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More fuel for the fire with concerns made by Mr Yann Jouault Normandy Tiger expert and a few others from years past
    :

Air photos:
    http://airrecce.co.uk/WW2/imagery/Vi...Bocage/vb.html

Seeming contradictions of Villers-Bocage and account of Wittmann:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207...nt+of+Wittmann

Normandy battlefields:
    http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/uitbraak/bocage2aeng.htm

Wittmanns Tiger and Barry`s theory:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207...rry%60s+theory

Lots of good views and photos in the above posts.

Anton

Comment

Wow Anton! Some very detailed stuff you posted!

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Walden View Post
        In June and July 1986 I received the following information from the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e.V. (German War Graves Commission), in reply to a request for detailed information about the field grave of Wittmann and his crew (excerpts translated from the reply in German; my additions in brackets):
        <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>
        1. The pistol found in the grave was a Walther Model 2, cal. 6.35mm, date of production no longer recognizable.
        <o></o>
        2. The remains were identified through the identification tag of a crewmember [Heinrich Reimers], and by dental records. One of the upper jaws contained a gold bridge with five porcelain teeth fixed at two crowns. Wittmann's widow confirmed that her husband had worn a bridge of this type due to a traffic accident.
        <o></o>
        3. The remains of the five crewmembers were so smashed and mixed when found, that they could not be entirely separated [and so were buried together in one grave at La Cambe]. Through forensic analysis, the heights of two of the men were estimated at 179cm and 172cm.
        <o></o>
        4. The following items were found in the grave, in addition to the pistol:
        a. Remains of black Panzer uniforms,
        b. Belt buckle with inscription "Meine Ehre heißt Treue",
        c. Earpiece of headphones,
        d. Remains of officer's braid (from collar patch), remains of officer's belt buckle, leather jacket, leather gear, belt, and uniform buttons,
        e. ID tag with the inscription --1391-- 1.K.E.K. (SS.V.T. on reverse), identified to SS-Unterscharführer Heinrich Reimers, 2nd Komp., s.SS-Pz.Abt. 101.
        <o></o>
        Geoff Walden

Many thanks for the info. Seems to be clear that at least some rests of Wittmann were placed in this battlefied grave.
        Any information about the comrades who initialy found the bodies and buried them?
        The tank was moved from its original hit position by british troops just after the battle... How they did not realize that there was a near grave? Normally battlefied graves are signaled even careless with helmets, guns, canon shells, etc...

Comment

Whitmann

Does anyone Know what has happened to Tiger 007, Or where it is today ??

Mike..

Comment

Originally posted by panzer nco View Post
            Does anyone Know what has happened to Tiger 007, Or where it is today ??

Mike..
            Scrapped after the war, as 99,9% of the tank-wrecks that remained after the battle of normandie.

So far we know of 6 surviving TIGER´s in the world, none has a connection to Wittmann.

Comment

You can try to find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Panzers-Norman.../dp/0900913290

Nice pics!!

Carles

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                Scrapped after the war, as 99,9% of the tank-wrecks that remained after the battle of normandie.
                Some parts of the 007 have survived the war and are now in a private collection !
                I've seen a track link, a frame from the radio's rack and some other small pieces from the 007 !
                I know also that the widow of Wittmann (when she came at the ceremony for the burial in La Cambe with some members of the I SS Panzer Corps) has receipt in souvenir a glass bowl (a small parts from one of the filter's carburators)

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd I. View Post
                  You're most welcome. Es macht mir schieß egal. I have no oath of honor to uphold to Wittmann or the Waffen-SS. While I'm grateful to J.Peiper for saving my Uhr-Uncle in the 320th I dont feel the need to rush to his defense. Who did Wittmann save in your family? I find research into Wittmann interesting such as this thread detailing his track during the VB engagement while I find his fans who ardently click their sneakers, sandals or hiking boots for him a rather lazy eyed lot. The last time I checked he left his Tigers in VB and hoofed it. Not my idea of success anymore than the stupidity of crossing on open field with built up areas and treelines a bright shining success story. His lack of leadership that day took more than just his life. But go ahead, defend your hero. My hero blew him away. The BEST soldiers won WW2. Not the other way around or history would be vastly different. My Opa would've told you the same thing but then he had the perspective of war from 1939 to 1945 returning from Soviet captivity in 1956.
                  You really are an obnoxious fellow aren't you? Where did you come from? Axis History Forum? They show the same disregard and disrespect for German Soldiers there as well. An admin here should ask you (tell you) to shut that mouth from spewing forth such vitriol!

Comment

The truth remains-like it or not.
                    Nazi Germans wreaked havoc and miseryon a world that could have been left alone.
                    Lionizing them is not in order.
                    You should listen to the fellow's grandfather's comment.

A friend recently toured some cemetaries in Europe.
                    A placque observed in a German cemetary referenced some thing like their war was a big swindle and they died for nothing.
                    My Grandfather had to leave his farm in 1917 and go to france to fight and my father had to do the same 1n 1944 with the 506th PIR.
                    Most of the men from my home area did the same. Not all returned.
                    All would have preferred to have skipped the events.
                    Berating someone for an honest as well as significantly supported opinion is out of order. History is just that no matter how hard some choose to color it.
                    MLP

Comment

Hi Gents --

Digging this older and facinating thread up:

When you write "mono-or binocular sight," what is exactly meant?

An external scissor scope used by the commander out of the cupola?

Michel got one from his best friend in May 1944 after some searching and liked to use scissor scopes very much since his time serving with StuGs.

Thanks for clarification.

Cheers,
                      Markus

Comment

Originally posted by markus View Post
                        When you write "mono-or binocular sight," what is exactly meant?
                        Hello Marcus. The early Tigers had a binocular main gun sight and the later Tigers had a monocular sight. I believe the information given in post # 54 is in reference to how many sight holes were visible in the photographs of the 8,8 cm gun mantle, 1 or 2.
                        Regards
                        Bern

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                          Hello Marcus. The early Tigers had a binocular main gun sight and the later Tigers had a monocular sight. I believe the information given in post # 54 is in reference to how many sight holes were visible in the photographs of the 8,8 cm gun mantle, 1 or 2.
                          Regards
                          Bern

Thank you Bern.

That makes more sense. I thought that maybe by the use of a scissorscope it might be able to ID Wittmann's tank, but that is probably impossible lacking sufficient photos of that day.
                          Wittmann was passionate about his scissorscope and he was very happy when his best friend Uli Ahrens finally had been able to source one for him. Wittmann immediately visited him at his command post to take possession of the scope.

Cheers,
                          Markus

Comment

That's very interesting Markus, I've never seen the scissors scope being used on a Tiger I. Do you have any photographic evidence or documentation of it somehow actually being used by Wittmann on any of his Tigers? I know that field modifications of equipment were quite common in all branches of the Wehrmacht, but I personally have never heard of that particular one.
                            Regards
                            Bern

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                              That's very interesting Markus, I've never seen the scissors scope being used on a Tiger I. Do you have any photographic evidence or documentation of it somehow actually being used by Wittmann on any of his Tigers? I know that field modifications of equipment were quite common in all branches of the Wehrmacht, but I personally have never heard of that particular one.
                              Regards
                              Bern

Wittmann had learned to cherrish the use of a scissorscope from his time as a Stug commander. In my collection I have a letter from his best friend sent to Wittmann advising that he was finally able to get the scope for him and that he should move his butt over to his command post to pick it up personally. After Wittmann's death the scope and all the other belongings were sent home to his widow and is now with me with the rest of the estate. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the scope in use. I'm still researching...

Cheers,
                              Markus

Comment

I look forward to any updates that you may be able to provide, especially photos of the scissors scope in use on a Tiger. I'd also be interested in seeing, as I'm sure other members of the forum would be, the other pieces of Wittmann's that you have in your possession. And I am being sincere.
                                Regards
                                Bern

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X