No announcement yet.

Grundsteinlegung Volkswagenwerk Tinnie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the whole thing cast in plastic or resin of some sort? That's what it appears to me. The RZM logo and number on the back almost appear to be a separate piece added to the wet resin and then lacquered over.

Comment

Stephen, no it is not. It is made from metal and the back is covered in resin or lacquer (I do not think it is a plastic coat)....but the lowest areas of the front also look like they have a very thin coat of lacquer on it (i.e. in between the swastika and under the chassis of the beetle)....it is very difficult to tell, even when looking at it with the most sceptical eye.. but I do not think the RZM logo and the rest are a separate piece, although you are right it does look almost like it...but I guess the only real way of finding out would be to destroy it and see if the thing comes off separately. The number behind Ges. Gesch. is 417-0...again, I have never seen anything like that on any tinnie..fake or real...have you? and then there is that red paint in the words...I am kind of more inclined to think it is a fake, but then that appears to be a lot of effort just to finish off a fake tinnie> ??? Cheers, Torsten.

Originally posted by sjl
      Is the whole thing cast in plastic or resin of some sort? That's what it appears to me. The RZM logo and number on the back almost appear to be a separate piece added to the wet resin and then lacquered over.
      Last edited by torstenbel; 03-27-2005, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all your help...but to close this thread off, we still do not know if the one I posted is original or not and we still don't know what an original should like ... certainly leaves food for thought and maybe we'll find out one day.. Cheers, Torsten (ebay id german.militaria).

Comment

hi all

Just look at weitze.net (keyword= Grundsteinlegung) and you'll find an original.I just do not want to post his pictures in here.
          Sells for 180EUR on his site.
          This is the best site to compare your badges etc. with originals!!!.And he has almost everything in stock

Comment

Thank you Andreas...if his is original, then mine is not... and any others posted here or in other threads of this forum are not original either...well. at least we know now... Cheers, Torsten. (ebay id german.militaria).

Originally posted by Thälmannpionier
            hi all

Just look at weitze.net (keyword= Grundsteinlegung) and you'll find an original.I just do not want to post his pictures in here.
            This is the best site to compare your badges etc. with originals!!!.And he has almost everything in stock
            Last edited by torstenbel; 04-02-2005, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thälmannpionier
              hi all

As with any dealer, caution should always be taken. Not everything on Weitze's site is original.......

Cheers
              Don

Comment

Don, absolutely true...everyone can make mistakes, even Herr Weitze...problem is that I still do not know if mine is original or not... but because of the apparent effort put into creating the one I have got, I would assume for now that it is original until I know better... Cheers, Torsten (ebay id german.militaria).

Originally posted by Don Scowen
                As with any dealer, caution should always be taken. Not everything on Weitze's site is original.......

Cheers
                Don

Comment

Hello all,

Here's one that I believe is authentic as I acquired it in a Vet returned lot from the Veteran's daughter. Any comments are appreciated.

It reads: Grundsteinlegung Des Volkswagenwerkes Mai 1939 and is marked Ges. Gesch on the reverse. Who's maker logo is that in the diamond?

William Kramer
                  Attached Files
                  Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

All 3 are copies I'm sorry to say.
                    Regards,
                    Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Wood View Post
                      All 3 are copies I'm sorry to say.
                      Regards,
                      Pete
                      Pete,

So strange as I got mine in a Veteran acquired lot.

He got his in a lot too, and everything else was period:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=531792

I wonder how these sneak their way into astounding groupings.

William Kramer
                      Attached Files

Comment

back of a real one-
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by torstenbel View Post
                          Jaime, thanks for reply. Yes , it is RZM marked and it has Ges. Gesch. on it, but that is not the maker, that abbrev. stands for gesetzlich geschuetzt und basically means 'protected by law', i.e. copyright...Cheers, Torsten.

and here is the reverse side of mine:
                          Looking back at what I posted here six years ago, I find it amazing to see how much I have learned since then. I would now immediately be able to declare the one that I posted here for review as a fake ... if I were to come across another it would go into the bin immediately and without hesitation ....

John T, the reverse side of the badge that you have posted certainly looks like an original period badge. Other than that it looks original do you know of any absolute 100% proof reason for the badge you posted to be original? Does it compare with another reference item or does it have a certain provenance of some sort? Not doubting your item, but just wanting to know more about it .... Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Hello again,

I have purchased another one of these for study. Here's this one, and it is slightly different in thickness as the first one I first posted, which is shown on the top.

William Kramer
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here's the reverse, again slightly different, as are the ejector mold marks. The catches are different, one is brass in color, the other silver. My first badge on top and the new guy has a silver finish that almost flakes off.
                              Attached Files

Comment

We have seen badges with ejector mold marks before on the reverse.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X