Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Symonds View Post
    Exactly, what if?

Then in Jo Rivett's opinion, the other makers are really reproductions, because he says so.
    Gary:

In response to Sonderkommando's question:

"What if your badge was made by one of the other 2 makers of these badges on different dies?"

I haven't watched the videos, and have no familiarity with the badges being discussed, but, there are a couple of factual statements I can make here:

1. Each pair of dies will impart its own set of characteristics to the stamped metal.

2. These characteristics can be caused a few different ways: during the die making stages, through corrosion, and through wear to the dies themselves.

3. Authenticating a piece of militaria using the study of die states is possible, and 100% foolproof, PROVIDED that we know all known manufacturers of a badge, and have a reasonable, well-founded idea of how many die pairs were used in production.

US Coins are a bit different than militaria, with respect to the fact that mintage figures are known, as well as which mints produced in any given year, my point being that it's a much more exact science.

In militaria, it's more of a guessing game, but we can make educated guesses...

A little while back, I wrote a post about this, and as it applies to tinnies:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=845127

In the case of a maker-marked badge, and a non-marked example, that show identical flaws on the obverse: this would simply point to the reverse die breaking. The die being out of alignment could cause that to happen.

If you guys want to point me to the threads, or discuss privately, send me a PM! I just don't want to keep hijacking this thread!

Best,

Andre
    Last edited by GiuseppeC; 03-31-2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GiuseppeC View Post
      Gary:

In response to Sonderkommando's question:

"What if your badge was made by one of the other 2 makers of these badges on different dies?"

I haven't watched the videos, and have no familiarity with the badges being discussed, but, there are a couple of factual statements I can make here:

1. Each pair of dies will impart its own set of characteristics to the stamped metal.

2. These characteristics can be caused a few different ways: during the die making stages, through corrosion, and through wear to the dies themselves.

3. Authenticating a piece of militaria using the study of die states is possible, and 100% foolproof, PROVIDED that we know all known manufacturers of a badge, and have a reasonable, well-founded idea of how many die pairs were used in production.

US Coins are a bit different than militaria, with respect to the fact that mintage figures are known, as well as which mints produced in any given year, my point being that it's a much more exact science.

In militaria, it's more of a guessing game, but we can make educated guesses...

A little while back, I wrote a post about this, and as it applies to tinnies:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=845127

In the case of a maker-marked badge, and a non-marked example, that show identical flaws on the obverse: this would simply point to the reverse die breaking. The die being out of alignment could cause that to happen.

If you guys want to point me to the threads, or discuss privately, send me a PM! I just don't want to keep hijacking this thread!

Best,

Andre
      Andre, I should have been more exact. I was not referring to the Teno badge, but badges in general.

Naturally, if there is only one maker the die flaws, etc., would be relevant, since any badge not matching these flaws would be suspect.

I was referring to a badge with multiple makers, and dies.

Thanks for clearing up my vagueness, in my posting.

Comment

Andre, I should have been more exact. I was not referring to the Teno badge, but badges in general.

Naturally, if there is only one maker the die flaws, etc., would be relevant, since any badge not matching these flaws would be suspect.

I was referring to a badge with multiple makers, and dies.

Thanks for clearing up my vagueness, in my posting.
        Hi Gary:

No worries, and you are correct! Even with badges with high numbers (& multiple makers), it would be theoretically possible to identify flaws/characteristics to specific die pairs, if enough examples were studied, but the practicality is questionable. Of course, I say this after having written a piece about tinnies...

Best,

Andre

Comment

I'm sure he reads and lurks in the shadows. He was (and still is? ... I don't really know) of another forum in which he took his ball and went home so many times people started to ignore his tantrums.

I for one won't miss him. In fact, until I read this thread, I never realized he was even gone. But, I suspect he'll be soon very back. He always returns.

Comment

I would encourage any new collectors dabbling in TR collecting to read Jo's posts both here and other forums. His dedication and research , badges in particular , is unparalleled in any fora. The truth is there , Beyond the Valley of the Trolls ! Lol !

Comment

I am one of those "doubters" and proud of it....
              ......As if what Jo Rivett writes is holy script and not to be challenged, in what the WAF is supposed to be, a marketplace for ideas.
              You use the term "doubters" in the same way that unstable people use the word "passionate" when they lose their **** over something. Ideas are all well and good but they need to be good ideas and you need to able to accept that not all of yours are going to fall into that category and that sometimes, others will have the better idea/approach or indeed, simply know more than you. I note that you are not arguing with his findings but rather showing your dislike of him personally. That isn't discussion.

I think I've said this before but if you and your like-minded friends disagree with him on a specific matter then PROVE him wrong. It is difficult when based solely on forum posts but If I understand his character and his motivation correctly, he is definitely the kind of guy who will amend his opinion because it is history that is important to him and not petty squabbling on a forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                Here is a link to some interesting videos from Jo Rivett (micro macro):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLH...woqRAhJ_haND6A

I suggest to subscribe to his channel!

Dietrich

Language was never his forte.

"This account has been terminated due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy prohibiting hate speech."

Comment

Originally posted by der-hase-fee View Post
                  Language was never his forte.

"This account has been terminated due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy prohibiting hate speech."
                  I hate the "Masters of the Universe" to the core essence of my being.

Comment

Why?

I actually think Skeletor is pretty cool.

Comment

are his videos now removed? Cannot find any of his videos anymore...

Comment

Yes. His YouTube account has been terminated, so the videos are all gone.

Comment

You can still watch Jo's video's on this site: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/V8FSxTrMK3ER/

Kris.

Comment

thank you, looks someone pushed you tube...
                            When they remove him there is way other stuff that should get removed.

Comment

Something for discussion about Jo Rivetts videos: He shows one about a DLV (Deutscher Luftsport-Verband) or NS-Fliegerorganisation (Flying Organisation) badge. In it, he tries to show that André Hüsken with his book about the badges and pins from the different organisations is not right. But the shown badge is mentioned in the book Führer, Volk und Tat (2. edition from 1934) on page 420/421 as DLV-Fliegerabzeichen. So who is right ?
                              But the NS-Fliegerorganisation would explain the big black enameled swastika badge with the propeller(?) which then ought to be a tradition or honour badge from this organisation !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X