• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unmarked Danzig Cross: real or fake?

Hello Guys,
    I need your help about this cross. I've found on Waf the following thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=261391

in which it was discussed a Gottlieb's cross that seems veri similar to mine.
    How about this one?
    Thanks in adveance. Val

Danzig Cross 2nd Class

This cross is unfortunately a fake. Originals did not have holes in the crown.

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
      This cross is unfortunately a fake. Originals did not have holes in the crown.

Stan
      Hello Stan,
      I received this cross in consignment from an Italian collector. When I said him that, probably, his cross was a fake he told me to have bought it from Craig Gottlieb and send his COA, come with the cross.
      I think that at this point it would be very interesting to know Craig's opinion about it.

Comment

Originally posted by valsente View Post
        Hello Stan,
        I received this cross in consignment from an Italian collector. When I said him that, probably, his cross was a fake he told me to have bought it from Craig Gottlieb and send his COA, come with the cross.
        I think that at this point it would be very interesting to know Craig's opinion about it.
        Agreed- the cross looks now like it was dumped under the truck sometime in the last 3 years. Still as fake as it was back then but now aged as well.
        Did he buy it in this condition (meaning enamel damages not present in 2007)?
        Cheers
        Matt

Comment

Collectors are just strange people. I asked the owner about the cross and I've known that he used it for some time as a key ring!
          So the damages have been made by himself and the cross is the same of the one in Craig's expertise that you can see below.

Comment

Hi there,

I think this cross may have been discussed before here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=danzig+cross

Comment

At least he didn't destroy original cross.
              Rene is right-it's the same cross in that thread- just look at the soiling on ribbon and the reverse hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
                At least he didn't destroy original cross.
                Rene is right-it's the same cross in that thread- just look at the soiling on ribbon and the reverse hardware.
                OK, thanks, we know that but the problem remains: real or fake? ( in the other post too )

Comment

Fake danzig

Fake IMO- ( in the other post too)

Cheers
                  Matt

Comment

In the other post Craig asserts that it is an original and, later, he formally guaranteed it in his COA. I think he has enough knowledge to say that and reputation to be believed. I'd like to hear his opinion about it.

Comment

I have to agree with Matthew. I am collecting Danzig Crosses almost exclusively and in my opinion the parade mounted cross is not an original of the time period.

I also bought a beautiful Danzig Cross 2nd class with case from Craig and it is an absolute gem and in all parts original. That is not to say that sometimes items can slip through which are questionable.

Comment

I do remember that cased example ... great piece. On this, it's definitely the cross I sold, and my guarantee is 100% transferable. It certainly is not in the condition that I sold it (photos show that, compared to the letter of authenticity). I guess I ought to take the blood order off of my keychain

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X