This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gau München Commemorative 1923-1933

I wonder what the period status of this badge actually was?

Regards,

David
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

David, the badge was awarded by Adolf Wagner to those from Gau Munich who possibly participated in the Putsch. It did not replace the Blood Order because it continued to be awarded throughout the 30s. The badge had no official status on a National or Party level. The badge is very undervalued IMO.

Comment

Here are a couple of photos of the badge in wear.
        Attached Files

Comment

Uauuu Erich... What wonderful pictures with the GMB in wear!!!!
          As you said... this is one of the most undervalued TR badges. I think the price will be up soon, specilly if some book appears related with this nice item.
          David: yours is a very nice MM. Enjoy it and keep it with you in a prominent place of your collection.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
            David, the badge was awarded by Adolf Wagner to those from Gau Munich who possibly participated in the Putsch. It did not replace the Blood Order because it continued to be awarded throughout the 30s. The badge had no official status on a National or Party level. The badge is very undervalued IMO.
            Beautiful badge and photos. Erich, were you meaning to write "It was not replaced by the Blood Order because it continued to be awarded throughout the 30s."? Because didn't this badge precede the BO? Was there an award document or Besitzurkunde issued for it?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
              Beautiful badge and photos. Erich, were you meaning to write "It was not replaced by the Blood Order because it continued to be awarded throughout the 30s."? Because didn't this badge precede the BO? Was there an award document or Besitzurkunde issued for it?
              Joe, yes this badge preceeded the BO but also continued to be awarded for other purposes after the BO was introduced. There is evidence that the badge was awarded in 1935 to an Austrian who was too young to have been involved in the Putsch. It seems that Wagner made this badge a unique award on it's own. I don't know if a Besitzurkunde came with the awarding of the badge.

Comment

One more photo. You can see in how high of a esteem the badge is worn by the recipient.
                Attached Files

Comment

Are there any photos of Blood Order recipient wearing this badge? Has it ever turned up in the effects of Blood Order recipient?

Thanks,
                  Erich

Comment

Originally posted by ETN View Post
                    Are there any photos of Blood Order recipient wearing this badge? Has it ever turned up in the effects of Blood Order recipient?

Thanks,
                    Erich
                    Only once have I encountered this Gau Munich in the effects of a blutordentragers estate. On that occasion it had its pin removed and had been glued on to a small bust of AH if I remember correctly. There was no evidence it came direct from the estate as it was coming via another collector so I only purchased the Blood Order,not the story.
                    It was a first pattern medal from Bavaria.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                      The badge is very undervalued IMO.
                      The last one I am aware of sold for 79 Euro.

Comment

Originally posted by der-hase-fee View Post
                        The last one I am aware of sold for 79 Euro.
                        That's my point. It's undervalued due to the importance of the award IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ETN View Post

Thanks,
                          Erich
                          My guess is that it stopped being worn if the recipient was also awarded the BO.

Comment

ErickS your information, "There is evidence that the badge was awarded in 1935 to an Austrian who was too young to have been involved in the Putsch." is as aver of the first order. This shows that the badge was an award in its own right. Where did you get this information? It is of the obveouse great research. You have done it again. Could you share more with us?

Comment

Smithee, here is a photo from 1935 of an Ostereicher Volunteer who later entered the Totenkopf Div. Being that he's and Austrian and along with his young age this would have precluded him from being a Putsch participant. To me, this photo is pretty convincing proof that the GMB was also awarded for other purposes after the introduction of the BO.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X