Golden Party Badge - opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price Change!!???

The Old "Price Change" Scam .......That Sucks All the Best, Butch, AKA Carlton

Comment

Gpb

From the scans looks original, but at either price pass. Even without the originality question this item may haunt you later.

Comment

I've been in Europe this week and missed the thread, but it looks to me like the good Forumites have steered you the right way.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I'm not too fond of a couple of things with this badge. The front has very hard wear that obscures some detail, but the red doesn't look right to me and a few leaves look off. I'm making a study of this particular type of the Gold Party Badge right now, but my feeling is it may be a new fake.

The numbering on the back is problematic. Rotograved examples were genuine, but they have also become the standard in new fakes since the impressed number and font were easy give-aways of a repro. The false start on the first two numbers would be unusual in an original. There are some other questionable features of the back I'm looking at and will post in another thread when I am more certain.

I also don't like the verdegris on the front at the bottom and what looks like "zinkpest" on the back. These things were high quality bronze with fire gilt coating - very hard to rust or discolour, and artificial aging of fakes always gets this wrong with black, green or grey residue. I've seen them come out of the ground after 50 years looking pretty good.

Anyway, for $1200 (and now $2500), I'd definitely pass if only due to the condition.

("Gold Party Pin Guy")
        Last edited by sjl; 10-07-2006, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X