No announcement yet.

Good 1944 Gausieger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by XEN; 06-03-2007, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by XEN View Post
      Hi Pascal, what are your misgivings about the badge?
      The first thing I noticed was the catch. Please tell me, is it magnetic or non-magnetic?

KR
      Pascal

Comment

Based on the color is my guess, that it's made from a non ferrous metal. But a magnetic test gives 100% result ofcourse. I'm currious where this is going to?
        I tought original hinges and catches from German badges could made from both metals, ferrous and non-ferrous? Or where these specific (1944) badges made only from one type?

Regards, Theo
        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by XEN View Post
            Just checked, yes it's magnetic
            That is a good sign. Based on the colour I would have guessed that it was made from copper.
            None of the originals I have seen had this colour type of catch but all the fakes did.

Next the colour of your badges appears to be white while the original should be off-white sort of eggshell white.

Have a close look at the eagle’s beak. The beak on your shield is nicely curved while the original should be in a definite angle.

Here is picture comparing an original with yours.
            Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Last edited by XEN; 06-03-2007, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Last edited by XEN; 06-03-2007, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Just to clarify, those are not my '44's but a picture I posted on behalf of Warlord .

I agree that the beak area can be altered by how the background was painted. However, look at the eye area, totally different.

Cheers
                    Don

Comment

Hi Xen,
                      The first picture you posted is if I am not mistaken not from Don but from fellow member Warlord. These are what I would call 2 textbook examples of the 1944 Gausieger badges.

On the second picture you can see clearly that the eagles beak is nicely curved.

These are only a few differences I noticed on the front when comparing yours to a known original.

When moving to the back I think the makers mark from yours is different to the makers mark on an original. Take for example the spacing of the "HM". They should be close to each other, definitely closer as on non original examples.

Here is you can see clearly how close they are.

KR
                      Pascal
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Pascal Huysmans; 08-31-2006, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Maybe I was not very clear with my remark about the beak.
                        I will post a picture which will show which part of the beak I mean.

KR
                        Pascal
                        Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by XEN; 06-03-2007, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Last edited by XEN; 06-03-2007, 01:47 PM.

Comment

XEN,
                              In the end it is you who makes the call. You must be the one who is happy with this piece in your collection.
                              I just wanted to point out that IMO there are differences between your badge and known original examples.
                              These badges are very rare (and very expensive) and therefore I would only go for a 100% textbook example.
                              Because of all the differences I would not like to have your badge in my collection.

KR
                              Pascal

Comment

Last edited by XEN; 06-03-2007, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X