• Show
Clear All

his neck is too thin to be haw haw ,im sure he had it stretched

Comment

It was certainly stretched later!

Comment

Thanks Kristijan, for correcting me.
        So it is Mosley, not Mosely.
        I already kindly nicknamed him Moses, so now I'll have to come with something new.
        But it ain't Old Mos on the pin, you say.
        I think I'll go with you, even if I want him to look like him, I can't imagine why he should wear an army uniform.

Fugpaw, also thanks for your suggestion but I don't think it is Haw Haw.
        Same reason: why should he be depicted in an English uniform?

Maybe this is just one of a serie collector pins from English generals, or what.
        I don't know, I maybe will never know.
        We did our best!
        Thank you all!

Comment

Haw Haw could be in a British uniform as a piece of propoganda, but I doubt that. Also the face is a bit wrong - William Joyce had a large scar going from the edge of his mouth on the right hand side of his face.

Comment

Typically the man you want your daughter to come home with.
            Intelligent and powerful looks, dreamy, mysterious...

Comment

Originally posted by Kristijan
              Postwar 'version'how you call it,was 'Union Movement'(founded in 1948).
              Ah yes, of course, my mistake apologies for any confusion.
              At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

I've wondered about a "British" general officer's uniform on a German pin. Then it hit me - South African! Only a guess, but possibly a South African / Boer general. The Germans had a fondness and feeling of kinship for them.

IMHO, not a chance its a BUF or home-grown fascist.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristijan
                  Torstenbel,this is is not a photo from later years,but from 1920s.
                  the pic I am showing in post 2 of this thread is from the 1920's??? Are you sure??? Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Originally posted by sjl
                    I've wondered about a "British" general officer's uniform on a German pin. Then it hit me - South African! Only a guess, but possibly a South African / Boer general. The Germans had a fondness and feeling of kinship for them.
                    Now that is something that would never have crossed my mind!
                    Brilliant!
                    I believe I still have some standard reference material of the Boer war so I will give it a shot.
                    Maybe some names and pics are shown in those.

Thanks very much for informing me.

Isn't it nice that such a small item can puzzle so many minds?
                    And that so many of you take the trouble of replying?
                    What an interface!

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by torstenbel
                      the pic I am showing in post 2 of this thread is from the 1920's??? Are you sure??? Cheers, Torsten.
                      Hi Torsten,

Yes I'm positive.That portrait was made before Mosley founded 'New Party'.

Regards
                      Kristijan

Comment

William Joyce, Lord Haw...

Hi'
                        According to the book "The tragedy of William and Margaret Joyce by
                        Nigel Farndale,London 2005, the pic asked for are Lord Haw,Haw, alias
                        William Joyce, the pic are to be found in this book,
                        Hi from Hallandsen

Comment

Originally posted by hallandsen
                          Hi'
                          Hi from Hallandsen
                          would you be able to post a scan of that page? Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Originally posted by hallandsen
                            Hi'
                            Hi from Hallandsen
                            Any chance of a scan of the page of the book hallandsen?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X