No announcement yet.

Order of Eagle with swords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you will find that the eagles are seperatly attached to the arms of the cross. There are very fin file marks and a line for the Medalist to attach the eagle. The reverse is then finly polished which removes the solder and very heavily plated. If you place two cross's of the same period together you will not the possitioning of the eagles is very slightly different. This also indicates that the eagles were individualy attacked.

As to the cross originaly shown, it is without doubt a modern fake.

Comment

Pablo and Chris, thanks for your opinions, although contradicting. The image with the soldered eagles (unless the photo has been tampered with) can be found in Angolia's "Führer and...", vol.2. I have no experience in the 4th class and perhaps a few images would help solving this issue .

I checked my own 5th class and took some measures. The cross is about 2.90 mm thick (not counting the enamel) and the eagles about 2.20mm. Perhaps the 4th class is different, although it's been stated that they are the same (apart from the flat reverses of the cross and eagles). If they indeed are the same, the integral eagles raises some question as to the over all design. Unless the eagles were thicker or the cross thinner, the integral design would leave the eagles positioned very low towards the reverse. I don't know if this makes any sense to you guys, but I'm all ears

KR
      Peter

Comment

Yes, as WARLORD says probably they are all soldered and the final treatments give to the cross the appearance that the eagles are integral with the back. I have been examining mine ones closely and in any eagle here and there you can see a very very thin line that is still there.

Pablo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X