Rare NSFK Gorget - is it real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare NSFK Gorget - is it real?

I have a fellow bringing me this NSFK gorget in a few hours. I've never had one before. Does anyone have any opinions on it? What should I offer him?
    Attached Files

That's a very scarce piece if it is original. More pictures would help.
    Regards,
    Michael H.

Comment

Here are more photos. The gorget has a nickel finish except the NSFK winged man which is frosted gold with a polished swastika. The chain is nickel with 46 links. The green felt covering shows exterior fading and appears to be machine-cut. There are no markings whatsoever. The owner's grandfather, a WWII veteran, brought it back from the war. It was passed down for two generations.
      Attached Files

Comment

More photos
        Attached Files

Comment

Not many to compare it to but I must say it gives me a good feeling.

Steve

Comment

I like it. Very scarce I would think.

Comment

I've never seen another example of this gorget, except in "Gorgets of the Third Reich," by Richard E. Deeter and Warren W. Odegard (published in 1977 by D O Enterprises) -- very sorry to admit that I don't have Wim Saris' much more recent volume on gorgets in my library...yet! In the Deeter/Odegard volume, they describe and show a b/w photo of the NSFK Gorget, also stating that "There are no manufacturers' marks or RZM markings on the gorget." That said, they also state that "The cloth backing on the reverse side of teh gorget is black in color..." whereas as we see here the example presented has a green backing. This difference may be due to the use of replacement backing, as we see on other gorgets.

Br. James

Comment

Thank you all for your comments on this rather scarce gorget. I did buy it today with the intention of selling it sometime in the near future as I don't collect gorgets.

Comment

Looks good and it has a good chance, but I have problems with the look of the kidney formed shield.
                  The material should shine like hell, as it is nickled. One can use it as a mirror. Here it is dull, but that could be due to a patina and it was not
                  cleaned for many years.
                  The inner of the letters NSFK is as it should be (a slight pebbling, may I say so).

The backing-color is okay. As far as is known the color should be graygreenish cloth (in the regulation from September 3, 1937 it specifically
                  is said: mit grünem Tuch gefüttert). So, no black backing.
                  There is no marking at the tang (at those inspected). It is said in the past it should be RZM marked, but the RZM had nothing to do with the
                  NSFK (nicht zuständig).

I do not understand why buying it when you do not collect them and then selling it again. To make profit? I do not discuss prices….
                  Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 05-29-2019, 01:35 AM.

Comment

It's good to see your comments, Wim, and many thanks from all of us for what you've added and continue to add to our studies and hobby through your series of books on these subjects! You are a friend indeed!!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                      You are a friend indeed!! Br. James
                      That is how you look at it, mr. Br. James. Some (from another forum) have problems with that word.
                      But by now they may know what they are missing, since I do not cooperate anymore!
                      Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 05-29-2019, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
                        Looks good and it has a good chance, but I have problems with the look of the kidney formed shield.
                        The material should shine like hell, as it is nickled. One can use it as a mirror. Here it is dull, but that could be due to a patina and it was not
                        cleaned for many years.
                        The inner of the letters NSFK is as it should be (a slight pebbling, may I say so).

The backing-color is okay. As far as is known the color should be graygreenish cloth (in the regulation from September 3, 1937 it specifically
                        is said: mit grünem Tuch gefüttert). So, no black backing.
                        There is no marking at the tang (at those inspected). It is said in the past it should be RZM marked, but the RZM had nothing to do with the
                        NSFK (nicht zuständig).

I do not understand why buying it when you do not collect them and then selling it again. To make profit? I do not discuss prices….

You are correct the NSFK did not fall under the RZM and you should not find RZM marking on any NSFK items.
                        Regards,
                        Michael H.

Comment

Looks like an original one to me to!
                          Also if the shield don't shine like a mirror......!
                          As Wilhelm said can be lost the Nichel plated!
                          I have seen only one original of these 15 years ago, sell for 4500 Euro by Weitze!
                          My Best!
                          Gian.

Comment

Originally posted by jules61 View Post
                            As Wilhelm said can be lost the Nichel plated!
                            I did not say it lost its nickle plating. I think when the gorget is being cleaned it all will be okay!

I do only know about three and one was stolen from the enormous collection in Belgium. The one
                            shown here can't be from that stolen collection.

Comment

"Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Br. James View Post
                              You are a friend indeed!! Br. James

That is how you look at it, mr. Br. James. Some (from another forum) have problems with that word.
                              But by now they may know what they are missing, since I do not cooperate anymore!"

No worries, Wim...as the old saying goes: "Their loss is our gain!!" I don't concern myself with such matters; it's good to have you here with us!!

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X