No announcement yet.

101st Airborne Vet bringback from Goring's dining car in Berchtesgaden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Joe! I assume -- and I do mean 'assume' -- that the DR provided the tableware for all the train carriages in their railroad system, even those special cars built for Hitler, Göring, etc. And here we do see something tangible: there were definitely two different qualities of tableware provided for these cars -- a solid silver setting (.800 silver) and a silver-plate setting (.90 marked), both produced by Bruckmann. We see examples of both of these qualities of silverware bearing the very same four-digit numbers. So the question is: Did the DR provide two different grades of silverware for all the rolling stock within their system? If they did, then they probably spent a lot of unnecessary money, since I'm sure many passengers took home souvenirs from their train trips, and at least some of those silver utensils were made of solid silver!

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

According to the "net", the Bruckmann firm closed in 1973. Have any proponents of what up to this point is a theory IMO bothered to seek info on the firm and its production and contracts with the DR? Br. James, does Yannes' book provide a bibliography of sources for his information which might have included such a reference?

Comment

Originally posted by CPB View Post
        I for one would like to see that...
        I will post some photos when I get a chance.

Comment

Hi Joe,

No, Jim Yannes' latest book does not include a bibliography...

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Knight_ridergta View Post
            The letter from the vet.
            I was looking at this thread as there are still some pieces from this vet for sale with Bill. The only concern I can find is who is Dale Ours? He does not show up on this weblink with any company, battalion or HQ? He claims to be the soldier who procured them from Hitlers (Goring's) rail car. I trust Bill as a dealer and the authenticity of the pieces you bought from him and show here along with the ones he has. I am puzzled the vet seems to be a ghost or cannot find any detail on him unless I missed it. Looked through the link below twice for Dale Ours and no go.

http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/506/506_trp.html

Comment

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
              Berghof. Why wouldn't you expect to see this type of flatware on other DR railcars. I do not profess any knowledge of this. Is there evidence of what kind of flatware the other DR railcars used or if it was numbered? If not, I am believe you and the others are taking a great leap of faith on these pieces.

I only know that the car numbers are five digits and these pieces are numbered three digits. You may feel comfortable if believing the three digits are the same as the five digit number. I have other interest other than my curiosity of evidence.

Your deductive argument goes like this? Goring's DR dining car is numbered 10241, a DR spoon is found numbered 241, therefore the spoon numbered 241 was used in dining car 10241. Okay....... Do we know if any other dining cars in the DR system carried a number ending in 241?

I would agree.....with no evidence apart from a partial wagon number match no one can say with authority that DR oroduced what are ib fact identical sikverware specially for Amerika or Robinson....why put a distinguishing number on one of thousands of identical pueces....it makes no sense....it only makes sense when someone can make more money from a very common thing by attributing it to a special train wagon.

Comment

I was able to find a Conrad Dale Ours: But no mention of 101st Airborne - 506th. He was a Sgt in the Army

Name: Conrad Dale Ours
                Service Info.: SGT US ARMY WORLD WAR II
                Birth Date: 22 May 1924
                Death Date: 12 Aug 2000
                Cemetery: Rose Hill Cemetery
                Cemetery Address: Brookfield, MO 64628
                Possibly married to Esther Ours who passed in 2012 who he married in 1946.

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X