No announcement yet.

My website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you guys approve!

Comment

Love your website! Wel done.

Regards, Wim
      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Superbly done!

Chris. Your collection amazes me and I love the fact that you attempt to keep as much history with the artifact as possible. It makes things so much more personal and important for the long term historical record.
        Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul, I totally agree—sometimes having the vet info turn a good piece into a great one.

Chris

Comment

Love your website. Tastefully done and I enjoyed looking at it. I have had fun building mine over the past few years as well to keep my collection alive on the web. Keep up the great work!

Comment

Thanks for your kind words.

I took a look at your site—love that SS dagger with capture box. What a cool group.

Comment

For any folks interested, I added a new 'Reference' section to my site.

Here you can see photos of Gerdy Troost's Berghof fabric swatch book from the Bavarian State Library, plus photos of some EB pieces that were displayed recently—and which are owned by the estate of Lee Miller.

I'll upload more photos of other useful/cool things that turn up, and would be very happy to add photos from other members here.

http://www.souvenirsofwar.com/resources/

Comment

Really GREAT stuff, Chris!! For the Gerdy Troost fabric swatch section, you might want to include one of the color photo post cards of the Great Hall in the Berghof -- that would show how some of the various fabrics had actually been used.

And regarding Prof. Gerdy Troost, there is a wonderful new book out which provides a great amount of detail on her personal life, her trial and testimony, and her business relations with Hitler through Atelier Troost in Munich. The book's title is "Hitler at Home" by Despina Stratigakos, Yale University Press, 2015. Troost and her business partner, Leonhard Gall, together with her architectural consultant, Roderich Fick, her design consultant, Frieda Tiersch, and their colleagues and staffs worked with Albert Speer on behalf of a number of the highest-ranking Nazis to provide architectural and interior designs of all kinds.

Really GREAT stuff, Chris -- Congrats upon landing these priceless pieces!

Br. James

Comment

Thanks, BR James.

Yes, good idea about adding the postcards.

Just to be clear though, I don't own the swatch book. This particular piece is in the Bavarian State Library. Interesting [annoying] to see how some of the swatches have been removed over time, particularly from Hitler's rooms—the most coveted of all, I guess.

The book you mention, yes—a good one for sure. I have read it and would highly recommend it to others here.

Comment

Website very nice, fantastic.
                      Regards to Florence
                      Luca

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Chris; appreciated. And I agree that it's tragic that some of those swatches have been stolen over the years, but I guess that is part of what "victory" is all about...to some, anyway! I've heard that the records now found at NARA had been picked through over the years following WWII, prior to microfilming, and untold numbers of documents of all sorts have been stolen. Sad, but that's the way things are.

Glad that you've enjoyed "Hitler at Home" -- a rare glimpse of personal information and of personalities that can never be recovered.

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

I'm glad you brought up "Hitler At Home". I stumbled across it recently while browsing Amazon books. I was thinking about ordering it, and now it looks like a must have.

Comment

We have a match [the only one I could find, but hey]
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

"I'm glad you brought up "Hitler At Home". I stumbled across it recently while browsing Amazon books. I was thinking about ordering it, and now it looks like a must have."

Hi Brian,

For me, one of the most compelling facets of our hobby is getting to know the personalities we read about in the pages of history, though only superficially. I love the autobiographical books written by Hitler's secretaries and the other members of the "Inner Circle" -- I've loved reading those accounts ever since I first read Speer's "Inside the Third Reich." (In fact, I enjoyed that book so much that I wrote a personal letter to Speer...and his brief response is a valued part of my collection of autographs and autograph letters!)

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X