oorlogsspullen

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was this photo taken of a SA-Marine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When was this photo taken of a SA-Marine?

1933? Glass photo negative. Thanks

I do not have my reference stuff with me but at a minimum it's pre-39.

Sydney

Comment

I would agree that 1933 seems like a good year to apportion to this photo, given the eagle and swastika design on the cap. That design was in uniform use by the NSDAP Political Leaders from 1927 until 1934, when the first design revision of that symbol occurred. I am not certain whether the eagle worn on the SA kepis and peaked caps changed at/abut that time or whether it remained as the M-1927 pattern until the major uniform code shift of 1939. Other Party organizations such as the SS and the NSKK did make revisions in their official cap eagle designs when they became autonomous from the SA -- the unique SS design originated in 1936, as did the equally unique NSKK design -- and if the SA didn't make any change earlier, then Sydney's note stating "pre-1939" is as accurate as I can be.

A nice archival photo,

Br. James

Comment

Finally able to look at my stuff but yes, it's the early style eagle/wreath as stated by Br. James. They didn't officially switch to the larger national emblem until 1937. Though there are pictures in Wilhelm Saris book that show it in wear after the official change had been made. Members of the SA had many of there "own" spins on their uniforms.

Comment

It's pretty sure this picture made between the 3rd of February 1934 and the 25th of October 1934. The Marine-SA wore an 'Alte Kampferwinkel' wich was introduces on February 1934. In Oktober 1934 the 'Ärmelstreifen für Altgediente' -long service stripes- was imtrodued and replaced the Winkel.

Best,
          Laurens

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Here is a good closeup of the early insignia, and I assume its subsequent modification with the addition of the HJ diamond insignia, rather than the early SA eagle.

Opinions, please.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by laurens View Post
                It's pretty sure this picture made between the alternative of February 1934 and the 25th of October 1934. The Marine-SA wore an 'Alte Kampferwinkel' wich was introduces on February 1934. In Oktober 1934 the 'Ärmelstreifen für Altgediente' -long service stripes- was imtrodued and replaced the Winkel.

Best,
                Laurens
                You always have the solid knowledge, Laurens! I hadn't even noticed the 'Alte Kampferwinkel'!

Comment

Bravo Laurens!
                  I didn't notice the Winkel at first either.
                  Take a look at the way the collar piping is sewn--it's twisted more tightly on one side than the other. Also the apparently metal numbers on the tab.
                  Erich
                  Festina lente!

Comment

Thank you gentlemen

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X