Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adolf Hitler marble plaque

This turned up this week.
    A house was being torn down and when they took the outer asbestos sheets away from the walls, this was underneath.
    It is carved marble, aprrox 80cm x 60cm and very heavy. No markings but it was in a metal frame that had rusted away to nearly nothing.
    The denazifaction of it was to remove the paint from the raised areas, but it is all still there.
    Trouble was I didnt have the cash to buy it and with xmas round the corner I dont think I will.
    Anyway thought I would post so that people can see that stuff is still out there and hidden away to be found. Enjoy
    Attached Files

WOW !!!, how much did this sell for?.... EC

Comment

As far as I am aware it has not sold yet, it was only found this week I believe

Comment

A very cool piece indeed and I like 9 Nov 1923 designation.

Comment

It is very impressive in person, the marble slab itself is about an inch thick.

Comment

It's selling for 600 euro

Comment

Originally posted by chris clark View Post
              It's selling for 600 euro
              Can you imagine the shipping cost?

Comment

And free asbestosis
                Cool piece though!

Comment

A piece of history.

Ivan

Comment

Shipping costs were about 90 euros

Comment

Originally posted by David Fettes View Post
                      The denazifaction of it was to remove the paint from the raised areas, but it is all still there.
                      This is the part I have problem understanding. What would be the point of obliterating the swastika and Hitler's name from this particular sign?
                      So that they can celebrate Hitler Putsch Anniversary by displaying it without offending anyone with the sign of a hakenkreuz post war?
                      What am I not seeing here?

cheers

Matt

Comment

Not sure what you are suggesting.

Comment

Asking: why would they go to the trouble of denazifying this sign?
                          You see medals being denazified for (and often by) vets for wear on medal bars, swastikas being demolished from buildings that will still be used, offending parts of military stamps removed while stamps themselves are still being used (early post war soldbuchs, award citations, etc.).
                          What would be a possible use for this sign in its denazified form? Obviously whoever did it wasn't hoping to use the marble base for a cutting board as he/she left the eagle intact so that was not his goal here I don't think. So what purpose would this denazification serve in this case?

cheers

Matt

Comment

Look, this must have been there as front door decoration at an official building for everybody plain to see.

So after the war it was de-nazified and that is it.

I would love to know which building it was in particular.

Quite rare to see the dates of the Putsch in combination with the Tag von Potsdam - 600 Euros for this one is quite a steal.

Comment

Possible. But why having to hide (behind the wall so quite elaborate hiding spot too) a sign that poses no more danger of offending anyone in its denazified form?

cheers

Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X