Big desk eagle - original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J. Wraith View Post
    This bird is a little more difficult than some others, it's got some issues but when you have late war birds with not so great casting that are original and the movement of period birds on to replacement bases, combined with fake birds being moved onto period bases it's starting to get to a point where at least some birds need a harder look. This one can be called I think as it sits as a bad bird, but would prefer to be 100% especially since Wittmann appears to like it, at least that is the sellers claim. There is a laundry list on this one but some of the issues can be had on originals and it would probably get by a lot of guys I think and even as a reproduction it's not seen often.
    Hi J. Wraith,

We are all entitled to have our own opinions and I respect your feedback. However, we must not let the name of the dealer cloud our judgement. We judge the object as it is and it should stand on its own. Don't get me wrong, just my two cents. Thanks for your understanding, J.W.

Cheers,
    Mil

Comment

J. Wraith: "No disrespect to Tom [Wittmann] and he is a nice guy, but he should stick to daggers if he likes this bird. And!! He may be misquoted, I have seen that as well."

I certainly agree that it's best to get the story straight -- which underscores my suggestion to send Tom a note and ask him what he said, directly. I also agree that he is a nice guy, whom I've always found to be most agreeable.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Military View Post
        Hi J. Wraith,

We are all entitled to have our own opinions and I respect your feedback. However, we must not let the name of the dealer cloud our judgement. We judge the object as it is and it should stand on its own. Don't get me wrong, just my two cents. Thanks for your understanding, J.W.

Cheers,
        Mil
        Not clouding my judgement, I think the bird is bad. The cast is poor but it appears to be painted and not during the period, the cast on later birds is not great and photos can be deceptive. The base metal is not apparent but would appear to be aluminum which is wrong. It has no base and a felt replacement and an underside photo would give me a clue as to how it mounted even being covered. The chased wing examples are not birds I like anyway but in this case it appears to be all wrong. Wittmann is not the dealer, someone is using his name which happens a lot and there is nothing showing to clarify his opinion or if its accurate. He probably does like the bird, but he is not a bird man.

No intent on my part to cloud anything, I think its clear. However, seeing good pieces get slammed on more than a few occasions I like to be sure before I totally trash something. And while I have no issue tossing a contrary opinion to a big dealer I just want to be thorough and this way if it gets " Called to my attention " that someone is peeved, I can just say "the farking thing is bad left, right, and sideways" and know without a shadow of a doubt that its the right answer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X