Yes buddy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_swastika
    Seems that they have chopped it down now

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
      Yes buddy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_swastika
      Seems that they have chopped it down now
      That's the one!

Comment

I doubt the tree was getting removed about political inpact.
        I assume no one knows about this matter anyhow anymore.
        We have on the hill side where I life now the hugest Iron cross.
        Oak trees inside and outside sourounded by bushes.
        Also still there and more obvious then the tree row,
        right visible out from the car on a Bundesstrasse.

Close by to Bad Windsheim we got the Oberlandhaus on another small hillside
        Will send photos of this wooden house back of the days when the Party used it.
        House was removed in the 90s but not about political inpact either.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Symonds View Post
          Let us not forget that today, November 9, is also the 75 anniversery of the anti Jewish pograms that began in 1938. The infamous "Night of the Broken Glass."

November 9 seems to be a very important date in German history. In addition to the Beer Hall event in 1923, we must also add;

November 9, 1918, the Kaiser abdicated.

November 9, 1989, the Berlin Wall came down.

November 9, 1990, German unification, with the merging of the DDR with the Federal Republic of Germany.

Most nations seem to have only one "date." For the US, its July 4. For Germans, it is November 9, with five important dates.
          Remember, remember the ninth of November...

Comment

Just wondering if the author of that website, Geoff Walden, is a member here?

Mil

Comment

When I remember right his brother is.

Comment

Hi Mil,

Yes, I believe both Geoff and Greg Walden are members here...and the input from each brother is always insightful and informative.

Br. James

Comment

Thanks Robert and James. That site is very informative and a source of good reading.

Mil

Comment

I find seemingly innocuous symbols of the TR such as these trees that exist to this day fascinating. Only a keen eye can see and understand their significance to the period.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                      I find seemingly innocuous symbols of the TR such as these trees that exist to this day fascinating. Only a keen eye can see and understand their significance to the period.
                      And there are still the Hitler-Eichen in almost every village. Just look for a large oak tree in a prominent place (e.g. village square).

Comment

That´s right.

Comment

In my city u will find street names like Immelman Str, Boelcke Str, Richthofen Str.
                          They are all together.

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                            Hi Mil,

Yes, I believe both Geoff and Greg Walden are members here...and the input from each brother is always insightful and informative.

Br. James

I was busy on the 9. November and missed all this good stuff! Yes, my brother Geoff and I are both members here; we are identical twins with similar interests. And thank you, my friend Br. James, for the compliment!

Have any of you-all ever been to the Feldherrnhalle on the afternoon of a November 9? I was there on November 9 in 1995 IIRC, and I obviously wasn't the only person there for that reason.

Best,
                            Greg
                            sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                            www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for your good response...I didn't know that Geoff and you are twins! My only visit to the FHH was in May, so I didn't expect to see anything at all reminiscent of the 8/9 November, and I didn't. Would you describe for us what you saw on that visit in 1995? Much appreciated, my friend.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                                Hi Greg,

Many thanks for your good response...I didn't know that Geoff and you are twins! My only visit to the FHH was in May, so I didn't expect to see anything at all reminiscent of the 8/9 November, and I didn't. Would you describe for us what you saw on that visit in 1995? Much appreciated, my friend.

Br. James

Oh, there were just a few people hanging around the end of the building where the Mahnmal was, who were obviously not just passersby. A couple were older gentlemen who looked of an age to have been around in the 1940s at any rate. I wasn't the only person who posed for photos.

Best,
                                Greg
                                Attached Files
                                sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                                www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X