90th Anniversary of 9 Nov 1923

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90th Anniversary of 9 Nov 1923

Today marks the 90TH Anniversary of the Beer Hall Putsch. If it had never happened, there wouldn't be any WAF! I was wondering if any of you collectors have items, artefacts, papers or even new info related to the day itself or from the anniversary events? Post your items!

Mil

On November 8–9, 1923, Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party led a coalition group in an attempted coup d'état which came to be known as the Beer Hall Putsch. They began at the Bürgerbräu Keller in the Bavarian city of Munich, aiming to seize control of the state government, march on Berlin, and overthrow the German federal government. In its place, they sought to establish a new government to oversee the creation of a unified Greater German Reich where citizenship would be based on race. Although the putsch failed—and Bavarian authorities were able to prosecute nine participants, including Hitler—the leaders ultimately redefined it as a heroic effort to save the nation and integrated it into the mythos of Hitler and the Nazis' rise to power.

Extracted from: http://ushmm.com

Mil

Comment

ON NOVEMBER 9, 1923, at 12.30 in the afternoon, in front of the Feldherrnhalle as well as in the courtyard of the former War Ministry, the following men fell, with loyal faith in the resurrection of their people:

Alfarth, Felix, businessman, B. July 5, 19O1
      Bauriedl, Andreas, hatter, B. May 4, 1879
      Casella, Theodor, bank clerk, A. August 8, 1900
      Ehrlich, Wilhelm, bank clerk, B. August 19, 1894
      Faust, Martin, bank clerk, B. January 27, 19O1
      Hechenberger, Anton, locksmith, B. September 28, 1902
      Korner, Oskar, businessman, B. January 4, 1875
      Kuhn, Karl, headwaiter, B. July 26, 1897
      Laforce, Karl, student of engineering, B. October 28, 1904
      Neubauer, Kurt, valet, B. March 27, 1899
      Pape, Claus Von, businessman, B. August 16, 1904
      Pfordten, Theodor Son Der, county court councillor, B. May 14, 1873
      Rickmers, Johann, retired cavalry captain, B. May 7, 1881
      Scheubner-Richter, Max Erwin Von, doctor of engineering, B. January 9, 1884
      Stransky, Lorenz, Ritter Von, engineer, B. March 14, 1889
      Wolf, Wilhelm, businessman, A. October 19, 1898

Last edited by Freiwilliger; 11-09-2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

A nice display Freiwilliger and interesting to see a de Nazified Mahnmal statue.

Comment

Let us not forget that today, November 9, is also the 75 anniversery of the anti Jewish pograms that began in 1938. The infamous "Night of the Broken Glass."

November 9 seems to be a very important date in German history. In addition to the Beer Hall event in 1923, we must also add;

November 9, 1918, the Kaiser abdicated.

November 9, 1989, the Berlin Wall came down.

November 9, 1990, German unification, with the merging of the DDR with the Federal Republic of Germany.

Most nations seem to have only one "date." For the US, its July 4. For Germans, it is November 9, with five important dates.

Only two of which should be celebrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Symonds View Post
            Let us not forget that today, November 9, is also the 75 anniversery of the anti Jewish pograms that began in 1938. The infamous "Night of the Broken Glass."

November 9 seems to be a very important date in German history. In addition to the Beer Hall event in 1923, we must also add;

November 9, 1990, German unification, with the merging of the DDR with the Federal Republic of Germany.

Most nations seem to have only one "date." For the US, its July 4. For Germans, it is November 9, with five important dates.

Great facts Gary

Comment

It's a great irony that AH never celebrated Nov 9th until after the political victory of the trial. It was a political disaster before then, and a terrible waste of lives. It's history we mustn't forget or it will happen again.

Comment

Absolute right facts, just can agree.

On one flat hill side very close to my homecity they planted trees for each of the fallen
                fallen ones from 9th Nov. The trees are still there all in one row, only one tree is gone.

Originally posted by Gary Symonds View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
                  Absolute right facts, just can agree.

On one flat hill side very close to my homecity they planted trees for each of the fallen
                  fallen ones from 9th Nov. The trees are still there all in one row, only one tree is gone.

Hi Robert, is there any reason the tree is missing? or just blown over for instance? Could you place a google earth link or reference for the area, I would love to see!

Comment

Hi Jon,

when I am back home I make photos and post it here, but I am in the US whole next week. I am sure there was no reason, maybe one tree got health problems ;-)

Cheers see u in Kassel,
                    Robert

Comment

Robert,

Very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing them as well.
                      German Oak trees I presume?

Comment

Walden Archive has the info as well.
                        http://www.thirdreichruins.com/thingplatz.htm
                        Look under Bad Windsheim.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
                          Walden Archive has the info as well.
                          http://www.thirdreichruins.com/thingplatz.htm
                          Look under Bad Windsheim.
                          I'm surprised that the local government hasn't cut the tress down yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                            I'm surprised that the local government hasn't cut the tress down yet.
                            Robert & Erich,
                            Do you think maybe 'they' removed one tree so that the connection to the 16 Putsch dead was also removed

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                              Robert & Erich,
                              Do you think maybe 'they' removed one tree so that the connection to the 16 Putsch dead was also removed
                              Good thought Jon.

Do you guys remember the tree that when the leaves changed color they displayed a Swastika and when it was seen from the air the government had it cut down? Think it was 5 or 10yrs ago. It was there from the 30s and it took until recently to be noticed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X