No announcement yet.

Gau Decorations of Hitler’s Germany - C.Gottlieb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jabnus, giving credit where credit is due, I am greatly indebted to many collectors and researchers for graciously allowing me access to original specimens. Particularly helpful were Wolfe and Hardin for actually LENDING me a collection of badges for the production of quality color photographs, as well as Kay Bruggermann of Hamburg, who gave me scans from his extensive document collection. In addition, several collectors were kind enough to read my manuscript at several points along the journey, and offer corrections and suggestions. This was truly a collaborative project.

Comment

Hi guys,

Please keep the comments to the book and its content. Content review is good and helpful and if there are errors then they should be discussed for the benefit of the collecting community.

I bought the book at the SOS yesterday and look forward to reading it.

Tom
      If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
      [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

I looked through it today at a show and was very impressed with it, I will definatly buy one but want a personalised one so will go direct to Craig. Can't wait to read it myself !!
        Stop picking it guys, just enjoy it

Comment

I think that any new reference books are a plus for the hobby and new things are coming to light everyday as new discoverys are made.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
            I think that any new reference books are a plus for the hobby and new things are coming to light everyday as new discoverys are made.
            Guys,

I know I am on a hiding to nothing here but who decides what is accepted and what is fact?

I am not daft enough to think that a book would be made full of copies.

I am not bothered or impressed by where pictures come from if they were made post 45.

I am asking folk to look at the mechanics of the book combined with the author and his homework, I think the thread below reveals a lot about how much homework is done and quite a bit about the character of the man. This was started by himself and if you read it through was unhinged when the other dealer did not roll over but went public and engaged him:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=582263

I would like to say you could read more here and there but it misteariously unfavourable content always seems to disappear? I do not mean the vulgar Craig bashing threats etc, I mean the real issues observed by knowledgable people.

Before I am reprimanded about talking about the author and not the book the only way that can be done in isolation of the author is if someone looks at the bibliography and checks for the new wartime period reference material that has surfaced?

Everyone wants glossy photos perhaps more than hard fact?

I understand there are no doubt respected and authenticated collections involved and do not seek to detract from them but to understand any new hard information available to the collector.

Regards

Jock
            Last edited by Jock Auld; 03-04-2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Buy the book and decide for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Gottlieb View Post
                Buy the book and decide for yourself.
                Craig,

Like I said I will read it at the library.

Starting at the bibliography.

Regards

Jock

Comment

sheesh - "some people can never be pleased" is the theme of this discussion.
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

I bought Craig's book at the show and read sections of it in the evening after dinner. I only read two of the Gau award chapters as those are the only two I own. And I read his introduction to the NSDAP organization and the Gauleiters. I found the book to be an adequate introduction to Gau badges. I don't think there was any intention to produce any type of intense research.

There is no bibliography, though Craig identifies his primary sources of documentatino: the Org Books and the Dohle books. He does include endnotes that identify sources for that information. The production values are overall very good, with quality color and for the most part good b&w photos. There are some digital photos that suffered greatly from reproduction in this book and it is a shame. Unfortunately, some of the discussions on this forum occurred too late for inclusion in the book, though Craig did mention Laurens presentation on the "Gau Munich badge".

Regardless of any controversies surrounding Craig, I agree that what is printed must be the subject of discussion. And, such a book cannot be dismissed because of business controversies or perceived negative association as a "dealer". After all, most of the collector books written over the past 40 years have been written by dealers: Johnson, Angolia, Forman, Wittman among others come to mind.

I have some disagreements with his conclusions, but that is the way of research and books. I wish he would have put out more inquiries to other collectors for assistance. Perhaps someone might have suggested including the 1937 Thuringen rank list of PLs that shows an increasing number of issued Gau badges from the introduction in 1933 and that the only Gau awards listed were referred to as Silver Gau Eagles.

I would and have recommended the book to others.

Comment

Thanks for the review, Joe. Very objective.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Gottlieb View Post
                        I must get this Huffmann book. James: is it available on the market, or might I have to encourage a friend to let me borrow it?
                        Craig,

I'll send you my copy.

Stan

Comment

Thank you, Stan!

Comment

Is this thread still alive? And why has nobody written an honest review yet?

Comment

Great fun for the entire family

Originally posted by Jo Rivett View Post
                              Is this thread still alive? And why has nobody written an honest review yet?
                              One of the best fiction novels I have read.

cheers

Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X