• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gau Decorations of Hitler’s Germany - C.Gottlieb

What are the opinions on this new book?
    Any reviews yet?

http://www.amazon.com/Decorations-Hi.../dp/0764342568
    Attached Files

Just received my copy today and have yet to read it but my first impression is very positive and the Amazon price of $45 is hardly a rip off for a good reference book nowadays.

Stan

Comment

Just tried to get one on Amazon and its out of stock and not sure when they'll get more. Seems to be doing very well

JC

Comment

You can still buy one from Craig's website.

Stan

Comment

Thank you Stan

I should have taught of it

Regards

JC

Comment

Dear Stan

May we have your (or others of course) review and assessment of this reference ?

Regards,

David

Comment

I'd like to know too before ordering a copy? Is it any good? Is the archival work good? Spectacular discoveries (don't tell them, just say if it is worth getting), or does it only contain general information coming from the forums?

Comment

I have been reading this book over the past few evenings and am very pleased with it. I have learnt about the flaws in the Klett maker mark on Gau Baden Badges; I have learned that there was an early issue of the Gau Danzig badge and what it looks like which I didn't know before and I have learned who the maker was of the Gau Wartheland award (no, I'm not going to say). There is also some interesting history in there.

I am the kind of person who is delighted if I buy a reference book and learn a couple of new things so I haven't been disappointed.

There are also some lovely shots of my badges in there!

Hope this helps.

Stan

Comment

Nicely written with some history on the respective Gaue and short bibliographies on their Gauleiters. Great pictures, which are a pleasure to look at and will make you want to own a copy of these treasures yourself.

But this was unexpected. I was certainly prepared for some minor issues related to references to German names for awards, cities, etc. - which can be tricky because not only of the capitalization of nouns per the note at the bottom of page 17 but also for e.g. their declension -, but I had to put the book down after reading the chapter on the Gau East Hanover Ehrenzeichen.

Craig, what a lapse !?!

Comment

Reading on, now Gau Essen chapter. Pages 118/119, Hitler wearing a Gau Essen Ehrenzeichen.

Obviously, he's at the Gautag Essen 1932 wearing the day badge (shown on page 121).

Picture from another forum, the guy on the left is wearing one, too:

Comment

der-hase- fee ,please point me in the direction of your latest book and I look forward to reading it and to see perfection.
                      Writing a book for the community is no easy task, of course there will be one or two errors in every book.
                      This is the exact reason I'm wary about writing a blood order book, make one mistake and the moaners come out to criticise. Why bother? There is no money to make from it on subjects like this, its purely to contribute to the hobby.

Comment

Only for those interested in the Gau Ehrenzeichen subject, everyone else please ignore.

On page 168 a pictures of Ernst Oltersdorf's party membership book, numbered 68085, is shown. He lived in Mühlhausen in Gau Thüringen. What's so special about it is the entry that he has received the Gauadler. However, the inscription states he received it on June 17, 1933 the same day as all others. Only the entry is dated August 10, 1933. Maybe Oltersdorf could not attend the ceremony or more likely had lost the citation that soon. Picture of an award document (to Karl Diener) on page 167.

PS: The entry in Oltersdorf's party book is missing the Gauadler number (Karl Diener's had #994). I could fill the space that was left for it !

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                          There is no money to make from it on subjects like this, its purely to contribute to the hobby.
                          John, ignore people like Hase Fee, as he is not representative of your target audience. I encourage you to write a book on Blood Orders, as it's your first passion, and no better person than you to write it. I had thought to do one years ago as you know, but have never found the time.

Comment

Perhaps Br. James would have something to add to this discussion if he were able to access this forum since its current reorganization that still seems to be unsettled for many forum participants.

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                            der-hase- fee ,please point me in the direction of your latest book and I look forward to reading it and to see perfection.
                            Writing a book for the community is no easy task, of course there will be one or two errors in every book.
                            This is the exact reason I'm wary about writing a blood order book, make one mistake and the moaners come out to criticise. Why bother? There is no money to make from it on subjects like this, its purely to contribute to the hobby.
                            Jon, I don't think it is necessary to be sarcastic about correcting contributions from those who have actually paid the money for Craig's book. He is entitled to express whatever opinion he may have on the subject, given his knowledge. Hugh Page Taylor, an author more well known and experienced than Craig, has welcomed criticisms of their work from distinguished members of forums such as ours. To consider any published book on this hobby to be immune from comments is tantamount to memorializing misinformation. The object is to get it right. And this forum has contributed correction of classics of this hobby.

Originally posted by Craig Gottlieb View Post
                            John, ignore people like Hase Fee, as he is not representative of your target audience. I encourage you to write a book on Blood Orders, as it's your first passion, and no better person than you to write it. I had thought to do one years ago as you know, but have never found the time.
                            I disagree with Craig. der- hase- fee would be a typical purchaser of Jon's book: a man of collecting experience with the funds capable of purchasing a Blood Order. Jon certainly doesn't care to address his work to a neophyte collector who wouldn't understand the nuances of Blood Order production, documents, cases, ribbons and such, much less the history of the order. He demonstrated as much in buying your book, didn't he?

Comment

Fair comments Joe.Not meant as sarcasm, more just a reality check that putting together a book is a huge undertaking and its easy to stand by the side and prod comments without ever putting pen to paper yourself. Yes agree constructive criticism might actually help the community and the author but all to often its only the negatives posted by some members and thats infuriating.
                              I think Br James would like to comment, I have sent him some links and advice but he is struggling to get on today, since Friday actually.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X