X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, Erich!

Comment

It looks to me that the higher prices for AH silverware are bringing out more and more pieces onto the market & onto dealers' webites. This in turn generates more interest & even higher prices. How long will this cycle continue? Who knows? It's certainly fun while it lasts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianK View Post
        It looks to me that the higher prices for AH silverware are bringing out more and more pieces onto the market & onto dealers' webites. This in turn generates more interest & even higher prices. How long will this cycle continue? Who knows? It's certainly fun while it lasts.
        Items like AH silver with a direct relationship to Hitler will always have allure with TR collectors IMO.

Comment

Pieces are appearing on the big dealers' websites for $1295 - $1595 for the knives, forks and spoons. One dealer raised his prices $100 in just a few weeks. It makes you stop and think - keep buying at ever rising prices or sell out? A knife, fork, spoon and a napkin is still pretty reasonable. But to get all the trays, teapots, sugar bowls etc. is going to cost you, not to mention the oddball pieces like the grape snippers. I guess if you can buy and sell and work on the spread it's possible to keep going.
          Last edited by BrianK; 09-13-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Brian

I agree. I actually think the knives, forks and spoons are way overpriced right now. For the sheer quantities in circulation, $1300-1500 is too much - so I tend to steer away from them at that price and favor the bigger pieces like bowls, gravy boats, trays, coasters etc. There were fewer of them and I find them more satisfying to look at and display.

That said, I would pay that premium for pieces with bullet proof provenance to a particular building - but that's just my 'thing'!

Chris

Comment

I agree to the above; if you've gone this far keep going. It is however a daunting prospect to be starting from scratch today. The AH silverware market is hot. The other personality or TR silverware market is cold, with the possible exception of SS pieces. Accumulating an impressive collection of AH silverware with all the gravy boats, teapots. and cigar boxes is something not to be discontinued mid - stream, if you can afford to carry on.

Comment

Because we are now with praises.
                Where do you buy most your parts, traders, Privately, collectors friends?

I think the cheapest way it is always then when you can get 5 pieces on 1 Buy on an action . "oh privet " !

But basically everyding is quite impertinently expensive...
                But I have simply got stuck on then pieces, i love Formal Pattern !

Greetings form Bavaria

fredy

Comment

When I review the prices that AH silver and tableware are going for today, I'm glad I always had a fixed goal in mind from the very beginning of this collection. I bought my first piece of AH Informal Pattern -- a dessert fork -- at least 15 years ago, and I fell in love with its simple yet elegant style. Right then I decided to work on collecting a full place-setting as it would have appeared back in the day. The prices went up and up over the years, but I finally managed to land the final piece to complete the setting fairly recently, thanks to Brent Smith. In the years since I bought my first piece, the prices have risen at least 400%, which may be comparable to, say, daggers or certain medals or helmets...?

For over 50 years I have considered myself to be an eclectic collector -- I'm interested in EVERYTHING from the period! But, at least as regards AH silverware, I established a goal and I somehow managed to stick with it until it was accomplished...which is more than I can say about many other areas of my collecting history!

Br. James

Comment

I never really had an interest in this stuff until a few years ago when I received a FP spoon in a trade. Well, now I have 10 pieces to include a napkin, tray, coaster and silverware. Guess it kinda goes with my interest in political stuff, ha?

Comment

Hi James,

How much pices do you have in your collection ?
                      I am curious What was your special piece from Brend ?
                      If I could I would have started 15 years ago . Very sad !

Regards
                      Fredy

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                      When I r eview the prices that AH silver and tableware are going for today, I'm glad I always had a fixed goal in mind from the very beginning of this collection. I bought my first piece of AH Informal Pattern -- a dessert fork -- at least 15 years ago, and I fell in love with its simple yet elegant style. Right then I decided to work on collecting a full place-setting as it would have appeared back in the day. The prices went up and up over the years, but I finally managed to land the final piece to complete the setting fairly recently, thanks to Brent Smith. In the years since I bought my first piece, the prices have risen at least 400%, which may be comparable to, say, daggers or certain medals or helmets...?

For over 50 years I have considered myself to be an eclectic collector -- I'm interested in EVERYTHING from the period! But, at least as regards AH silverware, I established a goal and I somehow managed to stick with it until it was accomplished...which is more than I can say about many other areas of my collecting history!

Br. James

Comment

Hi Fredy,

My most recent piece was a Teaspoon, though it is not the only piece I've secured through Brent's Antiques. I currently have seven pieces, all in the AH Informal Pattern:
                        Dinner Knife
                        Luncheon Knife
                        Dinner Fork
                        Salad Fork
                        Dessert Fork
                        Serving/Soup Spoon
                        Teaspoon
                        ...though I cannot count out the possibility of adding more pieces to the table setting in the future -- you know how these things go!

Cheers and happy hunting, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

Oh, certainly a very nice collection .

Could you show the dessert fork again? Maybe with measured ?

Regards
                          Fredy

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                          Hi Fredy,

My most recent piece was a Teaspoon, though it is not the only piece I've secured through Brent's Antiques. I currently have seven pieces, all in the AH Informal Pattern:
                          Dinner Knife
                          Luncheon Knife
                          Dinner Fork
                          Salad Fork
                          Dessert Fork
                          Serving/Soup Spoon
                          Teaspoon
                          ...though I cannot count out the possibility of adding more pieces to the table setting in the future -- you know how these things go!

Cheers and happy hunting, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

James

Congratulations on your resolve and completing the set. Can we see some photos?

Speaking of completing your collections, what pieces are you guys looking for to either enrich or draw a line under things?

Me, I hope to someday pick up an AH coffee or tea pot, a formal pattern cigar cutter and a formal pattern tablecloth. Plus any pieces from Bill Shea's Eagle's Nest haul from a couple of years back.

Chris

Comment

Hi Fredy,

The Informal Pattern Dessert Fork is a diminutive piece; this four-tine fork measures only 5¾” long and little more than ½" at its two widest points.

Many thanks for your congrats! I'm sorry to say that I have neither the aptitude nor the photographic machinery to provide photos; modern technology is a constant amazement to me...

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Hi Chris
                                Oh there's more than enough. :-)

I am looking for :

2x dinner knife
                                2x dinner spoon
                                1 dinner fork
                                2x teaspoon
                                2x mocca spoon
                                2x pastry fork
                                1x bread knife

Serving pieces :

1 x salad fork and spoon
                                1x Soup Spoon
                                1x sauce spoon
                                1x cake server
                                1x grape scissors
                                1x meat fork
                                1x Cigar Cutter
                                1x ice bucket

I hope I can someday find anything .
                                But we hard and almost impossible .

But Chris , I will keep my eyes open fir your pieces .
                                Perhaps each of us should post what he needs , then we know what everyone is looking for .

Regards
                                Fredy

Originally posted by CPB View Post
                                James

Congratulations on your resolve and completing the set. Can we see some photos?

Speaking of completing your collections, what pieces are you guys looking for to either enrich or draw a line under things?

Me, I hope to someday pick up an AH coffee or tea pot, a formal pattern cigar cutter and a formal pattern tablecloth. Plus any pieces from Bill Shea's Eagle's Nest haul from a couple of years back.

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X